Bristletooth Tang Sick, White eye, White stringy things on head near eye and faded fin tips.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn it. From swimming around to being dead that quickly, maybe it was velvet. Flukes can be nasty too.

OP
OP
sp314

sp314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn it. From swimming around to being dead that quickly, maybe it was velvet. Flukes can be nasty too.
That’s what I’m thinking it was velvet too. I removed the clowns have a dosed with Fritz fickich in a qt. It’s all I have right now and on there website it saids it treats velvet. Hope it works and they make it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m thinking it was velvet too. I removed the clowns have a dosed with Fritz fickich in a qt. It’s all I have right now and on there website it saids it treats velvet. Hope it works and they make it.

I've never used that product, but I would be wary. It reportedly contains gentian violet, an old school dye treatment. Here is what Herwig wrote about it back in 1975 about a 0.3 ppm dose: "May be toxic to weak fish; also toxic to many species of fish; use with extreme caution; not particularly effective" - yikes!

OP
OP
sp314

sp314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used that product, but I would be wary. It reportedly contains gentian violet, an old school dye treatment. Here is what Herwig wrote about it back in 1975 about a 0.3 ppm dose: "May be toxic to weak fish; also toxic to many species of fish; use with extreme caution; not particularly effective" - yikes!
Oh okay. I have dosed already for one day. Should I continue dosing Fritz fixich it just do water changes every day since that’s the only medication I have for treating ich or velvet? @Jay Hemdal

I don’t know what to do really other then water changes. Canada is so weird for owning fish. You can buy fish and be so involved with them but can’t buy medication over the counter to treat them. It’s so annoying and troubling

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay. I have dosed already for one day. Should I continue dosing Fritz fixich it just do water changes every day since that’s the only medication I have for treating ich or velvet? @Jay Hemdal

I don’t know what to do really other then water changes. Canada is so weird for owning fish. You can buy fish and be so involved with them but can’t buy medication over the counter to treat them. It’s so annoying and troubling
Given your limited options and that you’ve already started, I’d say follow the label directions and keep going.

OP
OP
sp314

sp314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given your limited options and that you’ve already started, I’d say follow the label directions and keep going.
Hi there. So the make clowned has just pasted too. The female is still alive. Should I remove from the medicated tank and move to a water only tank ? Is the medicine to harsh ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. So the make clowned has just pasted too. The female is still alive. Should I remove from the medicated tank and move to a water only tank ? Is the medicine to harsh ?

Sorry - I don't know the dose that they use. My guess is that the medication is too weak to be effective here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back