Bristletooth Tang Sick, White eye, White stringy things on head near eye and faded fin tips.

sp314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I have gold eye bristletooth tang. Today i noticed a white eye, white stringy things and faded tips on fin on left side of my tang. I live in Canada where there isn't much medication anymore since the ban on fish medications. You can see it on the fish when it swims to the top if the rock and turns to show its left side (First Video). Im thinking its flukes because of the white stringy things aswell as he is swimming around with his mouth open like he is having a hard time breathing. I would appreciate the some other opinions as well as maybe some form of treatment i could do based on circumstance with were i live. Thank you.

ph - 8.2 api
Nitrite - 0 api
Ammonia - 0-0.25 api
Nitrate - 10ppm api
Calcium - 420 api
DK- 11 api
Phosphate - 0.25ppm api

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi there. I have gold eye bristletooth tang. Today i noticed a white eye, white stringy things and faded tips on fin on left side of my tang. I live in Canada where there isn't much medication anymore since the ban on fish medications. You can see it on the fish when it swims to the top if the rock and turns to show its left side (First Video). Im thinking its flukes because of the white stringy things aswell as he is swimming around with his mouth open like he is having a hard time breathing. I would appreciate the some other opinions as well as maybe some form of treatment i could do based on circumstance with were i live. Thank you.

ph - 8.2 api
Nitrite - 0 api
Ammonia - 0-0.25 api
Nitrate - 10ppm api
Calcium - 420 api
DK- 11 api
Phosphate - 0.25ppm api

Video is dark but elevated breathing rate and eye issue suggests velvet. if so, you will see loss of appetite, swimming at surface or swimming into path of water flow. Need brighter image and water seems slightly milky

OP
OP
sp314

sp314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video is dark but elevated breathing rate and eye issue suggests velvet. if so, you will see loss of appetite, swimming at surface or swimming into path of water flow. Need brighter image and water seems slightly milky
Okay. Thank you for the response. I did notice swimming near the top as well as not eating as much a usual. The milky colour is just dirty glass. Here’s a better video of this would help better as well. Is there a treatment I can do since I live in Canada since there isn't much fish medicine available over the counter. Also should i worry about my other thank mates. i have 2 clowns and coral beauty angel in the same tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sp314

sp314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Thank you for the response. I did notice swimming near the top. The milky colour is just dirty glass. Here’s a better video of this would help better as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2326.MOV
    43.1 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
dorsal fins and facial area including eye appears to have that dusty fine particle appearance and suggestion is to isolate in a separate quarantine tank and treat with either coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off

OP
OP
sp314

sp314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dorsal fins and facial area including eye appears to have that dusty fine particle appearance and suggestion is to isolate in a separate quarantine tank and treat with either coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
Would you know of any treatment i can do that doesn't require copper? i know this may sound stupid but you cant go out and just buy copper or formalin or even any medication/treatment anymore cause it was banned in Canada. I have ordered copper but it wont be here for about 3 weeks and who knows if ill even get it then since its banned. I appreciate all your help and advice.

OP
OP
sp314

sp314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and
Should i also treat the other tank mates ?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the video. Sometimes videos are an issue for some people. Really nice truncated tang, BTW. I love those.

Gosh, I don't see much there. If you suspect flukes, you can put Prazi Pro right into a reef display with no problems.

If you are thinking velvet, copper would be needed. I would think the fish would be swimming more into the powerheads with velvet.

If you are thinking ich, there are 2 options that don't involve meds: tank transfer method and hyposalinity.

OP
OP
sp314

sp314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the video. Sometimes videos are an issue for some people. Really nice truncated tang, BTW. I love those.

Gosh, I don't see much there. If you suspect flukes, you can put Prazi Pro right into a reef display with no problems.

If you are thinking velvet, copper would be needed. I would think the fish would be swimming more into the powerheads with velvet.

If you are thinking ich, there are 2 options that don't involve meds: tank transfer method and hyposalinity.
Okay thank you very much. Could you explain what those option are that don't involve meds. Of course I will do my own research too but a brief explanation would be very helpful too if you could. thank you for you help and advice.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ruby
Would you know of any treatment i can do that doesn't require copper? i know this may sound stupid but you cant go out and just buy copper or formalin or even any medication/treatment anymore cause it was banned in Canada. I have ordered copper but it wont be here for about 3 weeks and who knows if ill even get it then since its banned. I appreciate all your help and advice.
Rally Pro will address velvet but takes longer. Yes, Canada Very limited on meds . Also try pets drug Mart im ontario I believe

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you near Montreal ? I have copper.

You should also ask on your local reef groups on FB. Someone might have some.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you very much. Could you explain what those option are that don't involve meds. Of course I will do my own research too but a brief explanation would be very helpful too if you could. thank you for you help and advice.
Tank transfer method only works for ich, and I'm not sure that's what is going on.

To do that, you need 2 tanks with 2 sets of equipment. It can just be a heater, airstone, in a Rubbermaid.

You keep the fish for 72 hours in one set, then move the fish to the other tank. The first tank needs taken down and allowed to dry. Then after another 72 hours, move back to the 1st tank. It screws up the ich's life cycle.

Hyposalinity works for ich and flukes. You just drop the salinity to 1.009 specific gravity. Keep it there for 45 days. The bring it back up slowly. You need a reliable, correctly calibrated way for measuring salinity. If it gets too high, you start over. Doesn't work for velvet.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dots are too small for ich and Tank transfer can be stressful for many fish with the constant moving around and with the tang breathing being elevated, I would caution myself with hyposalinity

OP
OP
sp314

sp314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would formalin work for my issue ? If so how would I treat with this ? Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ph - 8.2 api
Nitrite - 0 api
Ammonia - 0-0.25 api
Nitrate - 10ppm api
Calcium - 420 api
DK- 11 api
Phosphate - 0.25ppm api

With just the left eye cloudy, that implies more of an injury as opposed to a disease that would involve both eyes. However, the left pectoral fin seems a bit cloudy as well. Could it have gotten badly injured on that side?

The open mouth breathing is a separate issue. Have you seen the fish flashing/scratching at all?

There are very few treatments available to you in Canada. Hyposalinity works for ich and flukes, but cannot be done if invertebrates are in the tank.

Jay

OP
OP
sp314

sp314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With just the left eye cloudy, that implies more of an injury as opposed to a disease that would involve both eyes. However, the left pectoral fin seems a bit cloudy as well. Could it have gotten badly injured on that side?

The open mouth breathing is a separate issue. Have you seen the fish flashing/scratching at all?

There are very few treatments available to you in Canada. Hyposalinity works for ich and flukes, but cannot be done if invertebrates are in the tank.

Jay
Hi there. The tang sleeps pressed against a rock almost like a small ledge he hides under always with his left pectoral fin and eye against the rock. Could that be my issue ?

OP
OP
sp314

sp314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the tang had passed. And so did the angel. The clowns are still alive. I set up a new 5 gallon tank I had laying around for them for the time being. I’m just gonna change there water every day and hope they can fight through whatever this could of been. I don’t know what it could of been. Really hope my medicines come soon.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back