Bristleworm ID

dbati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I have read plenty abo it how bristleworm a are mostly good with the exception of one kind. I don’t think this one is that bad type but I suspect this fella was doing something I’m not too happy about.

I have a cauliflower coral right by where I spotted him today. A couple of days ago the entire coral was in the hole where I spotted this worm. Had it not been for the drag plug sticking out I would’ve been left wondering what happened??

Is this typical behavior? Or maybe there was some mysis stuck to it from a prior feeding?

E0367BA7-C9F5-4B4A-B09C-62931B5D1A61.jpeg

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobbit worms are the very bad type you're referring to. They aren't very common unless you're getting live rock, but also not impossible to still turn up.Honestly I'm not 100% positive that it's not one- I'd try and google some pictures to see. The front / head is usually distinct from the average bristle worm so I'd start there, just a little had to see imo. Is you cauliflower coral still alive? How big is this guy?

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah personally I don't care how good a clean up crew they *might* be, if I see any of those worms they shall die

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not the good or bad type of bristleworm. As stated above it’s a some kind of Eunice and I would definitely remove it if I were you.

OP
OP
dbati

dbati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not the good or bad type of bristleworm. As stated above it’s a some kind of Eunice and I would definitely remove it if I were you.
So I’m thinking about taking the rock out. I noticed this little tunnel/bridge looking thing. Do you think he’s built a safe passage between rocks?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
dbati

dbati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, for the record I didn’t chop him up. He 100% ejected his lower body twice whilst I just held the rock up in the air over a cooler I was working with.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back