Bristleworms (take a look)

fg_aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was up tonight taking out some Bristleworms. I know they are beneficial to the tank and a good clean up crew. I’ve never had an issue with them in my tank.
but at what point does it become an out of control pest?
I tend to catch them out every few months especially the large ones. As shown in the picture I took a lot out but I’m sure there are hundreds more. Just wanted to share the picture.

this post isn’t really a question, just a conversation to have and opinions to read.

66FA1678-562C-40FA-A970-B4FB0B4547B7.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i'd say you have plenty to spare a few.. ;Facepalm :cool:

OP
OP
fg_aquariums

fg_aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually the population is in conjunction with the amount of detritus. Blowing off your rock work and vacuuming the sand bed can help. Also wrasse and arrow crabs.
Definitely, I have 3 wrasse in my tank. So I’m sure they help with the population as well

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what size tank?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i would just try to remove largest ones,are flipped snail killers,can do damage to softies ;)
your preds will keep population under control..

OP
OP
fg_aquariums

fg_aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not consider even a lot of them a pest...out of control though maybe lol. On the other hand you do control population based off feeding level and amount of flow(not allowing food/detritus to settle)
Very true. My only concern is the coral affect to the new flow. But I would definitely like to add some sort of more flow to the back of the tank. Also maybe cutting back on feeding, I’m currently feeding small amount of pellets daily. But I monitor it and I never see much go to waste. I even think sometimes not all the fish get a chance to eat lol, but I rather under feed then over feed the tank. All fish look healthy so I’m sure they are getting enough food. Every other day might also work with feeding. My phosphate levels hover around .08 ppm (Hanna Checker)

OP
OP
fg_aquariums

fg_aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would just try to remove largest ones,are flipped snail killers,can do damage to softies ;)
your preds will keep population under control..
I have been noticing a lot of my turbo snails being flipped every morning. A reason why I did remove some last night. I havnt notice anything with my soft corals. But now that you mentioned it I’ll have to keep an eye on that as well.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been noticing a lot of my turbo snails being flipped every morning. A reason why I did remove some last night. I havnt notice anything with my soft corals. But now that you mentioned it I’ll have to keep an eye on that as well.
i have found them "large" burrowing into base of healthy ,mostly toadstool's and devil hands, and not cleaning black death /decay .

OP
OP
fg_aquariums

fg_aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have found them "large" burrowing into base of healthy ,mostly toadstool's and devil hands, and not cleaning black death /decay .
That so interesting. I don’t have either. Just mostly zoas, mushroom, and polyps as far as soft corals. But hey if nothing looks bad why worry. Lol. Just be have to keep monitoring and being ready. All those bristleworms were removed by hand (well tongs) lol so I don’t do it often.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this tank up for a couple years and I got pretty excited the other day when I finally saw 5 come out at feeding time. I was actually worried that I didn't have any. I think of them as vital to the health of a tank. But yeah, if I had that many I would cull them as well, too much of a good thing and all. I think my ruby wrasse keeps them in check.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely, I have 3 wrasse in my tank. So I’m sure they help with the population as well
What kind of wrasse do you have? I added 1 coris wrasse to a 120g tank many years ago and have not seen a single worm since that day. Have moved the tank 3 times and still don't find any when taking everything out.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I never see any during the day , so when people say get a predator I dont really see that as an option at least for me . I used to have a lot in another tank and a huge melanarus wouldn't touch them . Anybody have pictures of their coris or whatever wrasse eating them

OP
OP
fg_aquariums

fg_aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I never see any during the day , so when people say get a predator I dont really see that as an option at least for me . I used to have a lot in another tank and a huge melanarus wouldn't touch them . Anybody have pictures of their coris or whatever wrasse eating them
I never seen them during the day or during feeding. I think they know the wrasse would have a feast off them. But an hour after the lights turn off they come out to party lol.

OP
OP
fg_aquariums

fg_aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of wrasse do you have? I added 1 coris wrasse to a 120g tank many years ago and have not seen a single worm since that day. Have moved the tank 3 times and still don't find any when taking everything out.
I have a yellow coris wrasse, green wrasse, and Solon fairy wrasse.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was up tonight taking out some Bristleworms. I know they are beneficial to the tank and a good clean up crew. I’ve never had an issue with them in my tank.
but at what point does it become an out of control pest?
I tend to catch them out every few months especially the large ones. As shown in the picture I took a lot out but I’m sure there are hundreds more. Just wanted to share the picture.

this post isn’t really a question, just a conversation to have and opinions to read.

66FA1678-562C-40FA-A970-B4FB0B4547B7.jpeg
That gave me the shivers. They are like hairy little snakes. I don't trust anything without appendages.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back