broken thermometer in the tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter rng_pw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rng_pw

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
612
Reaction score
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some how my glass thermometer broke inside my sump. I have little metal balls all over the bottom of my sump but I'm more concerned about the mercury. How bad will this be? Thanks

Ricky
 
I don't believe that modern consumer and aquarium thermometers contain mercury any more. More than likely it contained a dyed alcohol or mineral oil solution.
 
However, I hope I am wrong, but I'm afraid those little metal balls are lead shots. At least I know they used to be. I hope you already removed them from your water, just in case I'm right.
 
I was able to get the balls out fairly quickly with a magnet. I'm pretty sure I was able to get them all because it seemed like they were all piled together. I have to take my return pump off. I think the thermostat might be together and stuck in my plumbing because I can't shut my ball valve. I checked the temp yesterday so it's only been broke for about 24 hours or so.
 
All is Ok. The thermometer was intact. Thanks.

Ricky,
 
I was able to get the balls out fairly quickly with a magnet. I'm pretty sure I was able to get them all because it seemed like they were all piled together. I have to take my return pump off. I think the thermostat might be together and stuck in my plumbing because I can't shut my ball valve. I checked the temp yesterday so it's only been broke for about 24 hours or so.

Wonderful news, if you got any with a magnet they were not lead, and if you got any under water with a magnet then you most likely got them all. Under water, steel balls would really like magnets!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new