OP
Bronc

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a funny note, I figured out last night that I had my bean animal return setup wrong. I had the full siphon and open channel pipes swapped - so I was never getting flow down the full siphon pipe and was using the emergency pipe a lot. It was loud and never worked very well. By swapping the caps on top I've remedied that and was able to turn up my new pump to max and it's now dead silent! Thank goodness for Google and beananimal.com.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a funny note, I figured out last night that I had my bean animal return setup wrong. I had the full siphon and open channel pipes swapped - so I was never getting flow down the full siphon pipe and was using the emergency pipe a lot. It was loud and never worked very well. By swapping the caps on top I've remedied that and was able to turn up my new pump to max and it's now dead silent! Thank goodness for Google and beananimal.com.
I've got nothing but ;Facepalm

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the tiny Porcupine Puffer we got today! His name is Henry and he's already eating frozen shrimp!

Ok, that is adorable! Aren't you worried it will eat more than you want it too?

OP
OP
Bronc

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that is adorable! Aren't you worried it will eat more than you want it too?
A bit worried, but I'm willing to chance it to get the rest of the family more involved in the tank.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit worried, but I'm willing to chance it to get the rest of the family more involved in the tank.
Sounds like it is worth the risk. My son (typical teenager) loves the tank more than he lets on. When I'm not home he will take pics of it and post them on his Instagram account almost daily. He and his friends even named some of the hermit crabs.
Would be nice if he showed more interest when I WAS home, but I can't claim to understand the brain damage that occurs between 13 and 18.

OP
OP
Bronc

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank thread update: after the first day in the tank, I never saw the baby Puffer again.. Not sure how he disappeared.. I've also battled a hair algae outbreak, fought that off with Vibrant, which then led to Cyano outbreak, which I tried to fight for awhile then finally used ChemiClean and had it cleared up in two days. The tank was looking better, but is now growing algae again so I started using Vibrant again. We'll see how that goes.

My corals really have no polyp extension and while some are slowly growing nothing looks near as good as it did in my old tank. I think I might be lack of lighting so I just bought (2) ViparSpectre 165w LEDs. They should arrive on Tuesday and hopefully that will help.

Oh, and I bought RBTA!
IMG_3972.JPG

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the tiny Porcupine Puffer we got today! His name is Henry and he's already eating frozen shrimp!

OMGosh!! I LOVE porcupine puffers!! I was upset when I found out I couldn't have one in my tank :(

When I did FW I had a green spotted puffer in a brackish tank that I absolutely loved!

Awww, just saw the post that he disappeared. I'm sorry :(

OP
OP
Bronc

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I really like the ViparSpectre 165w LEDs. I have the whites at 1% and the blues at 50%. After my tank recovers from a Bryopsis outbreak and my corals acclimate more, I'll increase the blues even more. I also added back 2 ATI Blue+ T5s today just to give a little better coverage. (The tank doesn't look as blue as the pic in RL). I'm also adding a refugium to the sump. I'm pretty excited to see how the tank improves in the next couple of months.

IMG_4003 (Edited).JPG

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I really like the ViparSpectre 165w LEDs. I have the whites at 1% and the blues at 50%. After my tank recovers from a Bryopsis outbreak and my corals acclimate more, I'll increase the blues even more. I also added back 2 ATI Blue+ T5s today just to give a little better coverage. (The tank doesn't look as blue as the pic in RL). I'm also adding a refugium to the sump. I'm pretty excited to see how the tank improves in the next couple of months.

IMG_4003 (Edited).JPG

Excited for ya'! I'll have to look into those LEDs...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_4003 (Edited).JPG
Looking great!

OP
OP
Bronc

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up and down. Bryopsis is almost gone but have a cyano outbreak now. Did get a couple of new corals recently that are doing well.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went thru your entire thread. Everything looks great. Sorry about the losses you encountered. But looks like you're making a good come back. I have the same leds (Viparspectra) my whites are on 5 and my blues on 40. They are very bright. Also I currently have it on a 75gallon 36Lx18Dx24H

OP
OP
Bronc

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went thru your entire thread. Everything looks great. Sorry about the losses you encountered. But looks like you're making a good come back. I have the same leds (Viparspectra) my whites are on 5 and my blues on 40. They are very bright. Also I currently have it on a 75gallon 36Lx18Dx24H

Excellent! I’m going to swap out my 2 ATI Blue+ bulbs with the new ReefBrite T5 Actinic Blues. I’ve got my Viperspectras up to 60% now. I’ll post an updated pic soon.

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up and down. Bryopsis is almost gone but have a cyano outbreak now. Did get a couple of new corals recently that are doing well.
Had the same thing happen, got rid of bry, po4 jumped up over corrected for that taking it to zero and cyano showed up, I didn't use any chemicals just let my po4 reach .04 and started doing micro bubbling, even with a ATS algae seem to plague me, prolly cause I feed my fish too much they are fat lol

OP
OP
Bronc

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: tank is doing really well right now. I have gone sockless and very pleased with the results. Finally keeping Nitrates stable at about 4ppm. I’ll take a FTS soon.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back