Bronc's 75g Reef

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still get jumpy if a fish has a grain of sand on it . . .

Sorry for your losses, and having to go fallow, but you're spot-on about it being the best (only!) way. Your tank's likely to go through some interesting evolutions without the fish in there to feast on every little critter that shows it's head (or whatever passes for a head...) outside the rocks. Keep a magnifier handy!

~Bruce

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the troubles Bronc! I've been there and know that you'll feel a lot better when it's all done. It feels good to not have to worry about a parasite jumping out of nowhere.

OP
OP
Bronc

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3814.JPG

Update for the Tunze Contest. Tank is still fallow until May 1st..
#reef2reef #tunze #giveaway

OP
OP
Bronc

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2 of my light fixture died, so rather than spend $50 replacing a ballast (if it even IS the ballast) on a $100 fixture that is old, I bought a new fixture. I toyed with buying an expensive T5 fixture or even more expensive LED system, but in the end I went with a cheap T5 fixture (a 4 bulb 48" Odyssea) and a 48" Reefbrite Tech LED 50/50 strip. I have all ATI bulbs: (2) Blue+, a Coral+ and a AquaBlue+. I really like the color and amount of light I'm getting and love the shimmer of the ReefBrite. The picture is way more blue than what it looks like in person.
IMG_3839.JPG

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2 of my light fixture died, so rather than spend $50 replacing a ballast (if it even IS the ballast) on a $100 fixture that is old, I bought a new fixture. I toyed with buying an expensive T5 fixture or even more expensive LED system, but in the end I went with a cheap T5 fixture (a 4 bulb 48" Odyssea) and a 48" Reefbrite Tech LED 50/50 strip. I have all ATI bulbs: (2) Blue+, a Coral+ and a AquaBlue+. I really like the color and amount of light I'm getting and love the shimmer of the ReefBrite. The picture is way more blue than what looks like in person.
IMG_3839.JPG
Looking great! Can't wait till my system looks that good!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it really is looking great! I gotta say that I'm a little jealous of how good your corals are doing.

OP
OP
Bronc

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh.. My return pump (Sicce 2500) is acting up. Stopped pushing water until I tapped it hard. Started working again then stopped a bit later. I've pulled it out and have it soaking in vinegar overnight. Should I look at a new pump? I'm kicking around getting the Jebao DCP-4000. I'm getting ready to go on vacation in 3 weeks and definitely don't want to have any issues. The Sicce pump came used with my tank, so I don't know how old it is.

OP
OP
Bronc

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a new pump is in order. Even if the Sicce is running well after its vinegar bath, backup is peace-of-mind . . .

~Bruce

The vinegar bath didn't help, so I have the Jebao on the way. It'll arrive Friday.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vinegar bath didn't help, so I have the Jebao on the way. It'll arrive Friday.
Too bad Apex doesn't make an Auto Tapper Assembly you could use to for when it doesn't start properly while you are away!

OP
OP
Bronc

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time!

During the same period that my return pump died, I discovered something had contaminated my RO/DI water. Still not sure what it was, but I almost lost my fish that were in QT and I DID lose a majority of my SPS to RTN and STNing. Definitely not a happy time for my tank. I dumped all of my RO water, bleached the containers, back washed my RO/DI system and did a bunch of large water changes on both tanks. I was able to frag my largest SPS colonies and recover a couple of frags from each. All of SPS that were still small died. Everything that lived seems to be making a recovery now, albeit slowly.

On a happier note, today my fish got to come back into the main tank after 76 days fallow. They are all happy and doing well. I'll be hitting the LFSs soon to fill my QT back up.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time!

During the same period that my return pump died, I discovered something had contaminated my RO/DI water. Still not sure what it was, but I almost lost my fish that were in QT and I DID lose a majority of my SPS to RTN and STNing. Definitely not a happy time for my tank. I dumped all of my RO water, bleached the containers, back washed my RO/DI system and did a bunch of large water changes on both tanks. I was able to frag my largest SPS colonies and recover a couple of frags from each. All of SPS that were still small died. Everything that lived seems to be making a recovery now, albeit slowly.

On a happier note, today my fish got to come back into the main tank after 76 days fallow. They are all happy and doing well. I'll be hitting the LFSs soon to fill my QT back up.
Oh man Bronc, that is rough. You just can't catch a break lately. I'll be pulling for you on the recovery!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back