Brook and Ich?

Cheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Long time lurker, fist time posting. I have a few questions id like to get your opinions on.
I purchased 2 clowns, from a LFS. I added them to my 24g tank that had coral and an existing goby. One of the clowns started showing signs of ich. When it looked like he was going to recover, he showed signs of Brook and died. Shortly after the other clown had the same thing happen. This was 3 weeks ago, The goby seems to be doing just fine.

How long should I wait to try adding clowns again? 6 weeks? I am going to order from Live Aquaria this time

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses. With the rapid death, sounds like Brook. Early Brook can present like Ich or velvet.

The tank should go fallow for 6 weeks. The goby could be a carrier.

I've had real good luck with the ORA clowns from Live Aquaria.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and a warm welcome to R2R! Lots of great people here with incredible experience and knowledge on all subjects "salty." :)

OP
OP
Cheesus

Cheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Goby needs to go to QT? Can he carry it for 6 weeks? Ive got a 40 breeder that im slowly building into a reef tank. Just waiting on some equipment..

Sorry for all the questions. First time dealing with this type of disease. And I don't want to endanger any more clowns.

Thank you for the welcome!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if it was my goby, I'd put it into the QT and treat for parasites. Give the goby a medicated bath for 90 minutes in an Acriflavine product like Ruby Reef Rally and then into a QT. Then, use a chelated copper like Copper Power slowly dosed up to 2.0 ppm over 4-5 days, and also dose with Metro for 10-14 days.

That covers Ich, velvet, Brook and uronema.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back