Brook or flukes?

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think just to be safe, do a freshwater dip for 5 minutes, then they should be fine in the display tank

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think just to be safe, do a freshwater dip for 5 minutes, then they should be fine in the display tank

I’ll be doing a fw dip for sure, but these fish won’t be seeing the display tank for at least a month.

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually don't do quarantine because I just freshwater dip my fish, I have never had a problem. But its still a good idea to do quartine, so yeah keep em in there for a month.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I went to the store and bought some general cure, and metro so I have it on hand. I’m still leaning toward fw dip>general cure. Any reasons why this would be a bad idea? I was planning on dosing prazi prophylacticaly anyway so this is kind of similar.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8577CDD3-C49D-489D-A1D9-F443F3FDB4F5.jpeg Freshwater dipped for 5mins, this is what he looks like now. You can see the white hazing on his body much more after the dip. Also hard to see but the pic kinda shows the left eye protruding a bit.

F0DAF4F4-14C3-4C5D-AF49-B0858423521A.jpeg

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and dosed the qt with general cure yesterday, which was 24hds after I did the fw dip. The fish looked worse after the dip, but now after 24hrs of the general cure he’s looking a heckuva lot better. His eye is still a little swollen but the white/cloudiness is almost completely gone already. Just wanted to give an update and say thanks to everyone who spent time giving advice.

I also ordered some CP as I’m stocking a new system, and there will be multiple waves of fish moving through my qt over the next few months.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and dosed the qt with general cure yesterday, which was 24hds after I did the fw dip. The fish looked worse after the dip, but now after 24hrs of the general cure he’s looking a heckuva lot better. His eye is still a little swollen but the white/cloudiness is almost completely gone already. Just wanted to give an update and say thanks to everyone who spent time giving advice.

I also ordered some CP as I’m stocking a new system, and there will be multiple waves of fish moving through my qt over the next few months.
Glad to hear the fish is better!

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update on the fish. After the first GC treatment he seemed a lot better, however the other ocellaris started to get some tiny white spots. It was either ich, or velvet. One week ago I did a water change, and dosed the second round of GC which was 5 or 6 days after the first dose. I then dosed the tank with chloroquine phosphate at 47mg/gal on the 18th.

Everything was looking good, the white spots were completely gone after two days of the cp, however, the misbar started to show flukes again a couple days ago! I’m not sure what’s going on, either the flukes are resistant or I screwed up the dose but that’s kinda hard to do.

Anyway I fw dipped him yesterday,and he looks a lot better, but I’m not sure how to proceed. They have about 2 more weeks in the cp, and I’m hesitant to give them anymore general cure if it won’t kill the flukes. It seems the gc is kinda hard on the fish.

Would a fw dip program, say every 3 or 4 days get rid of the flukes for good or should I go ahead and do a couple more rounds of gc?

These are the first fish I’ve bought after a long hiatus from the hobby, and I never had such bad luck with fish in the past. Really glad I’m quarantining.

Oh and Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that it’s no longer Christmas I figured I’d send this back up top, really don’t know what to do here. I’m almost thinking about taking the fish back to the lfs, but still wouldn’t know how to make sure the other teo are clean.

@HotRocks @Humblefish

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catch me up... After the second round of GC, were any fish still showing flukes in the FW dip??

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catch me up... After the second round of GC, were any fish still showing flukes in the FW dip??

The fish that originally had flukes before treatment started showing signs of flukes four days after the second dose of General Cure. I fw dipped him day before yesterday to check, but didn’t see any in the bath water. He was showing the same exact signs as he was before the original treatment however.

I could see some translucent/opaque white on him before this recent fw dip, and they all came off except for one. While I admit I’m assuming flukes, that’s what the signs are pointing toward. The qt has been dosed with chloroquine phosphate since the 18th, no signs of ich velvet or brook on any fish.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back