Brookynella and what to do with corals

NANO NEMS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So story is I had bad brookynella in my tank and am tearing down and starting over however I have anemones and corals do I dip and put in the new system or do I simply sell or give away my corals to take no risks of it re introducing itself. Does dip kill brookynella and can it be on my corals ?

OP
OP
NANO NEMS

NANO NEMS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why tear down and start over? Just leave it running fallow without fish for 76 days
I tried fallow for 90 days didn't work introduced a clown for testing and within a week brook was observed so I'm tearing down just need to know about can my corals and nems go right in my new display with a dip or am I asking for trouble

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried fallow for 90 days didn't work introduced a clown for testing and within a week brook was observed so I'm tearing down just need to know about can my corals and nems go right in my new display with a dip or am I asking for trouble

It's probable that the new clown had some Brooklynella on it when you bought it. 60 days fallow is more than enough to kill off any Brooklynella in a fishless system.

Jay

OP
OP
NANO NEMS

NANO NEMS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probable that the new clown had some Brooklynella on it when you bought it. 60 days fallow is more than enough to kill off any Brooklynella in a fishless system.

Jay
But can I put my anemones euphulia and xenia into the new build without worry of brook coming in on them if i do an rxpro dip

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So story is I had bad brookynella in my tank and am tearing down and starting over however I have anemones and corals do I dip and put in the new system or do I simply sell or give away my corals to take no risks of it re introducing itself. Does dip kill brookynella and can it be on my corals ?
Why are you taking down your tank and starting over? You could just leave it fallow. I don't think a dip is needed - after 60 days without fish, there should be none left?

OP
OP
NANO NEMS

NANO NEMS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you taking down your tank and starting over? You could just leave it fallow. I don't think a dip is needed - after 60 days without fish, there should be none left?
I got a bigger tank I'm upgrading to and starting over.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm just saying - there is no need to ditch your rock, etc (unless you want to) - or your filter media (depending on what you were using)

OP
OP
NANO NEMS

NANO NEMS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just saying - there is no need to ditch your rock, etc (unless you want to) - or your filter media (depending on what you were using)
Understood however still trying to find an answer about coral bringing it in.

OP
OP
NANO NEMS

NANO NEMS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

IF the coral has also been away from fish for 60 days - it should not be an issue

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But can I put my anemones euphulia and xenia into the new build without worry of brook coming in on them if i do an rxpro dip

No - I would not trust any dip that is coral safe to kill off Brooklynella, as the dip is most likely safe for that as well.

Jay

OP
OP
NANO NEMS

NANO NEMS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - I would not trust any dip that is coral safe to kill off Brooklynella, as the dip is most likely safe for that as well.

Jay
Would that also be true for bubble tip anemone can brook be transmitted as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would that also be true for bubble tip anemone can brook be transmitted as well.
Yes - anything wet can transfer protozoan parasites from one tank to another. Now, the level of risk is dependent on how severe the infection is in the source tank, as well as how much water volume is being transferred over. Dips help, but are not strong enough to kill the protozoans without also harming the coral or anemone. That’s why we use fallow periods - without a fish host, 100% of the parasites will die in 60 days.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back