Brow stuff in my sand and on my rocks

nsauer3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this, there is something on my rocks and in the sand that has brown red tint and does not look normal.

image.jpg image.jpg

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should that be a problem?
No, it’s common in young tanks. It’s part of the process of tour beneficial bacteria’s maturing and finding a balance. It generally goes away with time. Just keep an eye on your parameters- especially no3/po4 and try to keep numbers within acceptable range and you should be fine.

if your don’t like the look, tou can use something like a turkey blaster and blow it off, but it will clear up naturally eventually.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are those who suggest that an introduction of pods can shorten the diatom cycle, and it falls into the "first do not harm" category

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are those who suggest that an introduction of pods can shorten the diatom cycle, and it falls into the "first do not harm" category
I just watched a video by Randy of BRS where he talks about adding copepods (AlgaeBarn) to consume diatoms. The problem is that beyond a certain point, like the tank is infested, they don’t work.

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search diatoms on the forums here. Perfectly normal for a newer tank assuming this is. There’s plenty of research to be done on here regarding algae phases of a new tank, and causes of algae
i've had diatoms for months now, like maybe 5+. I'm only running a cannister filter thats it is that the problem?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 84 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back