Brown Algae Outbreak

islandreefer345

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 15, 2020
Messages
14
Reaction score
4
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started up my tank about 6 weeks ago and have now gotten this algae outbreak out of no where. It’s brown algae across the rocks and also across the sand which has been a nuisance since it’s constantly seems to come back. I also seem to see a weird haze in my tank but only really notice it when the light turns on. I’ll leave pictures so you guys are able to assess it.

Parameters are:
Alk - 8.4
Calc - 450
Mag - 1400
Nitrate - 0.25
Phosphate - 0.01
Salinity - 1.026

0DA817CE-B2E1-4FF9-9BF1-157AA57E90F2.jpeg 2491D327-D65D-4008-93E0-163C43748D85.jpeg
 
I am very new to this hobby, but can confirm I am going through the same thing right now. It was getting worse each day for the past week, now it seems to have hit a peak and kind of looks like it has either stalled or is going away slowly but surely. Other reefers on similar threads for me confirmed it was normal. What I'm going to do during my water change today is wipe down my glass and use a turkey baster to force water into some of the cracks and crevices on my rock to get some of it out and then suck that right out with my siphon.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new