brown alge

Fishthoughts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys! 120 gallon tank has cycled, nitrates are 30ppm and we have got some brown alge on the rock, how big of water changes should I do to help get rid of that brown alge?
4F0C5FC6-B199-422A-A559-0E67379D3933.jpeg

BrianAnthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That brown will give way to green. It's prolly diatoms right now. I would perform your normal water changes (whatever that may be) and allow your "ugly" phase to proceed. Your nitrates will come down slowly which is what you want. This is provided you are not feeding anything which it looks like your tank is empty anyway.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also cut back on your lights which aren't needed unless you have corals in the tank.

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you need a bigger cleanup crew; Reefcleaners has good packages; I wouldn't get a 120 gallon package probably go 1/2 that and see; Always can add more. Your Nitrates a bit high though 30ppm; what kit are you testing it with?

reefcleaners.org by the way; SaltyBottomreefcompany I used before as well and have good packages. I stay away from hermits but that is just me. Hermits will eat anything if hungry enough

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we do have corals in the tank :)
Oh ok, then cut them back to 6 hours on blues no whites to help mitigate the start of your tanks ugly phase. There will be multiple months of various types of algae as your tank goes through its new tank maturing process. Maintaining good water parameters, regular water changes with siphon and manual removal will help keep the ugly phase manageable. Along with a good cleaner crew.

View Badges
Do what I just did, no water change no light change ,get rid of the phosphates got mine down to hardly anything that brown turned to green 2 days later that green is now white about dead. keep nutrients low that problem will go away.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't matter keep nutrients low won't have that problem,if hair Dino's shows up use uv
Would work if there are no corals in the tank. You can starve the algae but with corals you will need nutrients or they won't survive.

BrianAnthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I saw some corals.. I wouldn't stock anymore until your tank matures more. I think you may have added them too soon. That's why you want to perform regular water changes to bring down those nitrates slowly. Don't add any fish yet, so you aren't feeding on a regular basis. This will add to your nitrates. You have a nice size tank, so it will take some time to get the nitrates down to 5ppm. Just remember to do things slow and steady. Congrats on the diatoms though. This is good. Next, will be your green phase. Don't panic and add chemicals that you don't need. Let nature take it's course. When you see the green, get some more algae eating cleanup crew. Your corals look good right now too. (From what I see) regular water changes (20-30%) and keep the green algae (the smothering kind... Hair algae,etc) away from the corals, will give them a good chance. When your water parameters are in the good zone and your algae isn't overpowering, add some more!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%

Back