Brown cell phone filter kit Amazon

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to post this parts list in case anyone else out there is also interested in using a brown filter to take pics under blue lighting.

I went in search of an off the shelf kit that included a brown filter but only found orange/yellow which I had a hard time using to get accurate color representation without weird background haze.

I had also tried the optional orange gel filter on my avast porthole but has similar issues.

1. Clip on 37mm filter mount ($5.98)

2. 37 to 52 mm adapter ring ($6.95)

3. Set of 52mm solid color filters (24.95)

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Example pic, no filter, no edits. Fully fixable in snapseed/lightroom but that's extra time I'd like to spend on other things.

The orange filter did a good job filtering out the blue, but it added a weird yellow/orange/green haze depending on lighting that I would end up having to correct in snapseed.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20201119111332507_COVER.jpg

OP
OP
S

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only drag is, I didn't see a single 37mm brown filter offered on amazon, hence the adapter ring and full color filter kit.

But all in it's in the same ballpark as the Orphek/icecap/polyp lab kits that seem stuck on different combos of yellow and orange which for me still required as much editing as if I'd used no filter.

I know there's a lot of ppl out there that are happy with those products, but they didn't really fit my use case well so I thought I'd pass along this info for others in my circumstance.hth

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full disclosure. I use the following lighting on a 96"*30" footprint:

2x 250w Radium MH on HQI ballast in 22" lumenmax reflectors

4x Orphek Atlantik V4.2 (1 on either side of each MH reflector angled towards the MH reflectors)

1x 48" Reefbrite XHO front and center angled into the tank.

For "color pop" pics I usually turn the radiums off bc I know no one is use to MH colors anymore.

I leave Reefbrite on as well as all blue/UV/IR at 100% on the Orpheks and 25% whites (AB+ mimic).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back