Brown Jelly Disease HELP ASAP!!!

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have brown jelly disease in my 10g nano reef and it is affecting all my Euphyllias. They are expoxied to the Live Rock so i am not able to take the corals out of the tank. How do I treat my corals please? Please help ASAP!!!!

Pfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listen, if intact you have brown jelly you are best to trash every infected piece. Nasty stuff, sorry. There are some who say you can snip the diseased heads and do peroxide dips and others say snip and revive. Luckily I have never experienced this but there was a buddy in my local club that contracted it and it toasted all his euphilia.

Good luck.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sorry to break it to you pal if you leave them in ur tank , say bye bye to all your lps, you have to iodine dip them or chop every infected piece and get rid of it

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there yall. So brown jelly disease is pretty awful. It's contagious- what i mean by that is that it spreads to other LPS rather quickly. So my advice is to get your corals off the rocks, cut off the effected pieces and dip the rest. I like revive, but I've never tried iodine or peroxide dips and I've heard they can work. You need to act quickly before they are all lost. You still may lose the pieces, but you have a chance to save what's left. :) Good luck!

OP
OP
Tristan

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there yall. So brown jelly disease is pretty awful. It's contagious- what i mean by that is that it spreads to other LPS rather quickly. So my advice is to get your corals off the rocks, cut off the effected pieces and dip the rest. I like revive, but I've never tried iodine or peroxide dips and I've heard they can work. You need to act quickly before they are all lost. You still may lose the pieces, but you have a chance to save what's left. :) Good luck!
Sorry to break it to you pal if you leave them in ur tank , say bye bye to all your lps, you have to iodine dip them or chop every infected piece and get rid of it
Listen, if intact you have brown jelly you are best to trash every infected piece. Nasty stuff, sorry. There are some who say you can snip the diseased heads and do peroxide dips and others say snip and revive. Luckily I have never experienced this but there was a buddy in my local club that contracted it and it toasted all his euphilia.

Good luck.

Thanks. I luckily only have a few LPS. I have 4 frogspawn heads and 3 hammers. I also have 5 Duncan heads, 1 acan, and a blasto merletti

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try chloramphenicol - IF you can get it and IF you are extremely careful with it...

I have used it in the past but its not something to be taken lightly as it has resulted some rather rare complications in humans - aplastic anemia in about 1:30,000.

Talk to a vet -

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might be dealing with the same thing. About a month ago maybe a little more my frogspawn started letting it's heads go. Didn't noticed any brown like substance, but then a week after lossing the frogspawn that I had for close to two years a torch died over night. This one had some brown slim. Not much but it was going in 24 hours. Now today I noticed another torch is dying. Of course two my favorite out of 5 torches on dying/dead. I'm going to try to cut the head of the torch that is dying and dip it in Revive. Good luck!!!

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is another option - which I have never used or attempted - but which is in the same family as chloramphenicol and might also work.

Florfenicol (tradename Nuflor or Aquaflor) has been approved for use in aquaculture and does not carry the risk of apastic anemia.
It is also used in several vetinary settings and can be prescribed by a vet for your use. Koi keepers sometimes use it to treat ulcers on their stock and I've seen it formulated to treat RTN in corals @ 10-20mg/L (Nuflor).

If you discussed this with a vet - you might stand a chance of getting their coperation - but I have no information that suggests that it would work with brown jelly other than it is very similar to chloramphenicol. I don't think it has been tried. Treatment would be outside of the display - in a hospital tank and it would probably involve an extended immersion.

Its not cheap - and it could end up killing your corals - but you'll lose them anyway if its truely brown jelly. It works by arresting protein synthesis of the bacteria or fungus - a bacteriostatic - I know it works against some vibros - but I don't think anyone has determined the pathogen involved in brown jelly.

Last edited:

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may. I had a goni that contracted BJD. I took it out of the tank and into a small bowl of water, swished it around to remove the jelly film. I then poured hydrogen peroxide onto the affected area. I let it set a few minutes, swished it again, more H2O2, swish, and then about 15 minutes in Seachem's Reef Dip, which contains iodine. I placed in the tank and hoped for the best. Today, the goni is healed and growing new tissue where it lost some prior. Had I not done this, I would've lost the entire piece.
If you stay on top of it, you have a chance. Remove them from the rock if you possibly can. Treat with H2O2 followed by a reef dip in a clean container. There have been others that have used peroxide against BJD with success. It's not a lost cause.

Here is my post on it, I'll update it with photos at some point today if I remember.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/goni-911.220389/

Last edited:

dnyceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Euphllia but am always crossing my fingers BGD don't strike again. I have tried just Revive and still lost them. I never tried iodine but I think that would be less stressful on the coral. It is a bacterial infection. I really think it is from my hermits puncturing the delicate tissue. I don't keep any hermits anymore in my tanks. I keep mostly snails and like one skunk cleaner shrimp in each tank. I lost a lot when I had my urchin . This is just a thought and not proven the cause.

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphillya and brown jelly is death. They'll go and go fast. Cut off and dip but sadly it's most likely a fight you'll lose.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back