Brown Jelly Disease treatment success

reefpunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope all this information may help someone out in the future with BJD.

Recently I've been having horrible luck with my tank. I lost a precious wall hammer that I've had for several years to BJD, a special fish died and now my high end torches have developed BJD due to injury. My eels knocked over a bunch of rocks and that came crashing down on my torches and 3 days ago I noticed one head had the start of BJD. Only one head had BJD but the other heads on the 24k were very sad and deflated and looked exactly how my wall hammer looked before a full BJD outbreak. I quickly cut off that head and put it in the trash. I was extremely upset with the idea that it seems I may lose my torches to BJD so I did something stupid but it worked out. I had three 300mg tablets of an antibiotic called Clindamycin and I put it into the tank (200g total water volume between tank & sump). I turned off my UV, removed carbon and removed my skimmer cup to make sure nothing messed with the antibiotic. 18-20hr later my 24k has seemed to have made a full recovery when it comes to BJD. All the remaining heads are open and full and I'm not seeing anymore tissue recession.

My rupunzel torch was also hit bad during the rock avalanche in my tank and several polyps were ripped off and then started showing signs of BJD. All signs of BJD on both torches now are completely gone. I don't know If I just got super lucky or if my last ditch effort to throw in random antibiotics worked but I thought I would share this in case someone needs to try a last ditch effort to save some coral.

I used Clindamycin as I cannot get antibiotics like Cipro unless I get a prescription and I had the Clinda on hand from a previous health problem.

I hope this information helps whoever may need it.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news for your corals!
Clindamycin is a good choice for treating some gram positive/gram negative infections as well as fungal issues. Commonly used for treating Koi. But with Koi usually Clindamycin is use with a steroid. Works well on those yellowish areas on Koi that can go "south" rather quickly. Prompt treatment is the best. And apparently with your corals too. Nice. A success story :)

OP
OP
R

reefpunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news for your corals!
Clindamycin is a good choice for treating some gram positive/gram negative infections as well as fungal issues. Commonly used for treating Koi. But with Koi usually Clindamycin is use with a steroid. Works well on those yellowish areas on Koi that can go "south" rather quickly. Prompt treatment is the best. And apparently with your corals too. Nice. A success story :)
I am extremely happy that it worked out. As of today both torches are even happier compared to yesterday. Fully out and the tissue that was receding has almost already grown completely back. The brown jelly parts of the torches are completely gone as well with no signs of it on any torches or my other corals. Major success!!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your success but BJD doesn't just pop up like that. It happens over a period of time in which corals are under stress typically due to unhealthy water parameters. After awhile their immune systems get compromised and that opens the door for BJD. The rock collapse you mentioned just triggered more stress in them and started the event. I suggest you take a careful look at your water parameters. Something in your tank is off and stressing your euphyllia. I've had BJD twice now in my tank attacking my euphyllia and cipro helped me save some of them.

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope all this information may help someone out in the future with BJD.

Recently I've been having horrible luck with my tank. I lost a precious wall hammer that I've had for several years to BJD, a special fish died and now my high end torches have developed BJD due to injury. My eels knocked over a bunch of rocks and that came crashing down on my torches and 3 days ago I noticed one head had the start of BJD. Only one head had BJD but the other heads on the 24k were very sad and deflated and looked exactly how my wall hammer looked before a full BJD outbreak. I quickly cut off that head and put it in the trash. I was extremely upset with the idea that it seems I may lose my torches to BJD so I did something stupid but it worked out. I had three 300mg tablets of an antibiotic called Clindamycin and I put it into the tank (200g total water volume between tank & sump). I turned off my UV, removed carbon and removed my skimmer cup to make sure nothing messed with the antibiotic. 18-20hr later my 24k has seemed to have made a full recovery when it comes to BJD. All the remaining heads are open and full and I'm not seeing anymore tissue recession.

My rupunzel torch was also hit bad during the rock avalanche in my tank and several polyps were ripped off and then started showing signs of BJD. All signs of BJD on both torches now are completely gone. I don't know If I just got super lucky or if my last ditch effort to throw in random antibiotics worked but I thought I would share this in case someone needs to try a last ditch effort to save some coral.

I used Clindamycin as I cannot get antibiotics like Cipro unless I get a prescription and I had the Clinda on hand from a previous health problem.

Did you have to do a water change after a few days of treatment?

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you have to do a water change and if so how long after you added the antibiotics?

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

Did you dose it to your tank or did you quarantine them in a separate tank and dose it?

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dose it to your tank or did you quarantine them in a separate tank and dose it?
I dipped them, cut off bad ones, I’ve also dipped them into H2O2 and iodine.

And I dosed the whole tank. First I had some really old Chemiclean but just shy of a full dose. The I got the clindamycin and dipped and dosed the tank too.

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Am still one head turned brown. I just cut it off and dipped in iodine.

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an oldie...... but trying to find Cipro is near impossible without a script. I have Clinda on hand. OP, if you are still here did you see any ill effects to other inhabitants of your reef? Anyone else use clindamycin in place of Cipro? Any help would be greatly apprectiated.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back