Brown jelly disease

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180923_105250.jpg
is this brown jelly disease, if so what should I do, I can't take the coral out as it's massive and encrusted by sponges underneath onto rockwork, will it spread to the healthy section of the coral, and will it spread to other healthy corals, thanks in advance

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown jelly is a bacteria infection generally caused by damage to the coral from other corals or sand being blown on to a coral with out any way for the coral to remove it from a fish or shrimp.
Best treatment is to use Lugol's to dip the coral .

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I'd either qt the coral or toss it. I lost an Acan collection to it, sometimes you can treat it, some times you can't.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had to deal with it several times and every time I managed to beat it without any losses with a 3 step dip. 1) You dip the coral in iodine for 15 minutes. 2) you dip the coral in hydrogen peroxide for 5-6 minutes 3) you dip the coral in revive. (Pour a little iodine over the affected areas too, before you’re dipping) this treatment usually works in a single go. Before that I tried using iodine alone and it never helped. Also increase the flow in your system. And do a water change. Bjd is sometimes caused by the fact that the coral is being under constant stress. GL

cohlton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had to deal with it several times and every time I managed to beat it without any losses with a 3 step dip. 1) You dip the coral in iodine for 15 minutes. 2) you dip the coral in hydrogen peroxide for 5-6 minutes 3) you dip the coral in revive. (Pour a little iodine over the affected areas too, before you’re dipping) this treatment usually works in a single go. Before that I tried using iodine alone and it never helped. Also increase the flow in your system. And do a water change. Bjd is sometimes caused by the fact that the coral is being under constant stress. GL
What brand of iodine do you use?

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help, so when you say dip in iodine and hydrogen peroxide do you mean just both of these in solution, don't mean to sound stupid But I've never dipped a coral before

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help, so when you say dip in iodine and hydrogen peroxide do you mean just both of these in solution, don't mean to sound stupid But I've never dipped a coral before

No I do one after another. So I had 3 buckets and a rinse bucket . Took it out of iodine into peroxide then last one was the revive. Just be gentle on peroxide dip. It’s nice in a way that oxygen bubbles attach to the brown jelly and it just floats up. So the coral ends up very clean after. However it could be very harsh on the coral itself if you add too much of it.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with macdaddy. It is hard to stop brown jelly once it starts. One trick you can also do is get a pen torch and burn the areas with brown jelly. This is drastic but it does work. Peroxide has always made a big difference. Iodine, not so much but it helps.

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I do one after another. So I had 3 buckets and a rinse bucket . Took it out of iodine into peroxide then last one was the revive. Just be gentle on peroxide dip. It’s nice in a way that oxygen bubbles attach to the brown jelly and it just floats up. So the coral ends up very clean after. However it could be very harsh on the coral itself if you add too much of it.
Ok thanks, how do you know what's the right amount to use of the peroxide?

I agree with macdaddy. It is hard to stop brown jelly once it starts. One trick you can also do is get a pen torch and burn the areas with brown jelly. This is drastic but it does work. Peroxide has always made a big difference. Iodine, not so much but it helps.
Thanks never thought on the pen idea, heard of it being used for aiptasia though.

Does the iodine have to be a specific brand or what, cause my mum's a vet and can get me some easily aswell as the peroxide , but just want to make sure these will be ok to use, or if a specific brand is necessary

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, currently putting in some polyp lab reef medic, ano it's pretty useless but it contains peroxide salts so hoping it may help slow down the BJ overnight until I can get it dipped, getting bone cutters too, to save the healthy parts of the coral

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna rescue the healthy parts , it's gonna be impossible to remove this coral it's too massive and sponge growth attached to it and grown into the sand and rocks, if i let the coral just die in the tank while saving healthy frags, will this cause a large nitrate or ammonia spike

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral has been fragged, with half dipped in iodine and half left alone as I read chalices may not react well to chemicals and what not lol, some places back in dt and other places in my nano tank for best chance of saving at least one frag , fingers crossed

Ally ZA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. did our coral make it. im loosing a battle at the moment with my coral same sa in the video. Went away for 5 days, wife was looking after the tank, got home to see part of the rim was covered in brown strings. i sucked it off. this morning half the cup was covered again. got home from work and gave it an iodine dip. only a small bit of flesh left. its been 4 hours now. light out so checked with a touch and the brown jelly is back and covering what is left of the flesh. . it will e a complete loss in the morning.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back