Brown jelly on torch?

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I just noticed this brown sludge coming out of my torch. This torch has been in this tank for a couple of weeks and it actually looked amazing but now it’s all retracted and lost some of its color. Should I get rid of it?

image.jpg

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a small expel of zoo, which is normal.
A “recalibration” on the recent change in light source.
If waters on point, not concerned,
All other corals are thriving too so just wanted to make sure. I did just switch the intensity of my kessil so perhaps it’s adjusting to it still

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Expelling zooxanthellae - not poop. It is doing this due to stress. This is likely a lighting or water flow issue.
Torch require typical parameters including:
Temperature around 78 degrees
Specific gravity of about 1.025
Ph of about 8.2
Calcium level of about 400 ppm.

Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral. Therefore, it is possible to keep the Torch coral without any feeding at all. However, all corals are animals, and animals are meant to eat. Mysis shrimp is a good food.
The best placement for a torch coral is in a location that gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expelling zooxanthellae - not poop. It is doing this due to stress. This is likely a lighting or water flow issue.
Torch require typical parameters including:
Temperature around 78 degrees
Specific gravity of about 1.025
Ph of about 8.2
Calcium level of about 400 ppm.

Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral. Therefore, it is possible to keep the Torch coral without any feeding at all. However, all corals are animals, and animals are meant to eat. Mysis shrimp is a good food.
The best placement for a torch coral is in a location that gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting.
I’ve been spot feeding benepets. Would that be enough? Or should I give them the occasional mysis?
Ph is 8.1
temp stays around 78-79
salinity is 1.025
calcium I keep at 410-415

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve been spot feeding benepets. Would that be enough? Or should I give them the occasional mysis?
Ph is 8.1
temp stays around 78-79
salinity is 1.025
calcium I keep at 410-415
Mysis- benepets is a dry food and could constipate them

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back