Brown Jelly? Too late for this guy?

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi there - apologies if this is the incorrect forum.

I picked up a few hammers and torches over the last weekend and I just woke up to this guy basically falling apart. I've never had experience with brown jelly disease, but this seem to fit the bill? Hard to make out but the left most head is falling apart and spewing out a good bit of brown slime.

I've ordered iodine and cipro, but it won't be here for a couple days. Anything else I can do in the meantime? Lost cause?

He's in the QT with the other new additions. Should I remove him (to a trash can) so as not to infect the others?? That's what I'm most worried about.

Thank you.

IMG_6166.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi there - apologies if this is the incorrect forum.

I picked up a few hammers and torches over the last weekend and I just woke up to this guy basically falling apart. I've never had experience with brown jelly disease, but this seem to fit the bill? Hard to make out but the left most head is falling apart and spewing out a good bit of brown slime.

I've ordered iodine and cipro, but it won't be here for a couple days. Anything else I can do in the meantime? Lost cause?

He's in the QT with the other new additions. Should I remove him (to a trash can) so as not to infect the others?? That's what I'm most worried about.

Thank you.

IMG_6166.jpeg
Looks more like polyp recession
Some causes are :
Too much water flow
Too much light
Low calcium (below 380)
High alk
Temperature too warm
High phosphate

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a frogspawn do the same thing overnight. As I syphoned it out, it completely fell apart and came off the skeleton with ease.

I've never read of any claimed cure for BJD, and so I do a big water change, change carbon, etc. the two times I've had an infected coral. Good luck

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah I think my main issue now is whether I should just remove it. I'm not sure if this is a transmittable issue?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a wall type, notorious for just letting go for no apparent reason like Helio-Fungia and many Elegance Corals.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing BJD. If a coral has that then one or more heads will typically be dead in 24 hours or so. Where is your picture showing BJD?

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not seeing BJD. If a coral has that then one or more heads will typically be dead in 24 hours or so. Where is your picture showing BJD?

I'll get some new photos. This one is hard to make out. But that head on the left is mostly gone and just a big ball of brown goop coming off of it. Was all good last night so definitely happening fast.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think my main issue now is whether I should just remove it. I'm not sure if this is a transmittable issue?
Highly transmittable ime; I would remove from DT

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get some new photos. This one is hard to make out. But that head on the left is mostly gone and just a big ball of brown goop coming off of it. Was all good last night so definitely happening fast.
Well if that is the case isolate or toss it. You can frag infected heads off. I was successful treating my tank with ciprofloaxin for BJD. I dosed 125mg pill dissolved 3x over a 6 day period.

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well if that is the case isolate or toss it. You can frag infected heads off. I was successful treating my tank with ciprofloaxin for BJD. I dosed 125mg pill dissolved 3x over a 6 day period.

How many gallons was the system? This is a 30 gallon QT only....

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Update - I set up a different QT and put this guy in there. One head completely disintegrated. The other is still moderately filling out in the light. I did an iodine bath and I'm getting Cipro in hopefully today or monday. It's too late for the one head, but I'm hoping to save the others.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - I set up a different QT and put this guy in there. One head completely disintegrated. The other is still moderately filling out in the light. I did an iodine bath and I'm getting Cipro in hopefully today or monday. It's too late for the one head, but I'm hoping to save the others.
Cut off the dead head. Iodine won't stop BJD.

Back