Brown Jelly?

ArnoldosAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! Is this brown jelly?

First I lose an encrusting goni in a couple days (small frag) and it was covered in brown... but it could’ve just been dead tissue.
Then I see this... I dipped, rinse off, and plugged dead holes with some glue. However I’m seeing some more brown stuff today.
I did find Red cyano growing on one of my other corals... could that be it?

I rinsed it off by putting it in a bucket of salt water and use a turkey baster to blow off the brown stuff. It did not come off easily…
I did have a clown they kept trying to host it, but only for a day or two…

I don't think it's BJD because it's been almost a week!

Update: I did clean it out as mentioned above. Today, the "plugged" holes the same brown stuff in the pictures shown covering where the glue is. Coral looks and acts healthy otherwise.
90446731_2903983183028833_7084563943619821568_n.jpg
90019036_2901037736656711_8958312322070216704_n.jpg

shaggydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not bjd if it's been there for a week. Bjd hits hard and fast. Usually wiping out the entire affected coral within 1-2 days. Cyano generally grows all over not just on corals so that is a bit concerning that you are only seeing this stuff on corals.

OP
OP
ArnoldosAquariums

ArnoldosAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not bjd if it's been there for a week. Bjd hits hard and fast. Usually wiping out the entire affected coral within 1-2 days. Cyano generally grows all over not just on corals so that is a bit concerning that you are only seeing this stuff on corals.

Now, the clown kept trying to host it.. but he's now hosting with a nem.

OP
OP
ArnoldosAquariums

ArnoldosAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... so I sucked up some of the brown stuff with Julian's thing and put it under a microscope.

Check this out.

what the heck is this?? Photo on 3-18-20 at 1.13 PM.jpg

Photo on 3-18-20 at 1.13 PM.jpg

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what it is, but the same thing is going on with a new frag of Goni I just got two weeks ago. It happened to another colony that I had and it wiped out 70% of that colony. I have dipped this frag in Coral Revive 3x, and this stuff persists...

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped it again this morning, then scraped the wasted cells of skeleton with a small metal tool, then dripped iodine into those cells. Then I dipped the entire frag in a heavy iodine solution and gave it a good shake for 20 secs or so. As of tonight, I don't have any PE on the frag to speak of, but the heavy sliming has not reappeared yet. Will update if it is back in the morning

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Had brown jelly again yesterday morning so I tried Hydrogen Peroxide and Iodine again and moved to low flow/low light. Had no PE all day and Brown Jelly again this morning. Removed from frag tank to protect the rest of the coral. Total bummer

OP
OP
ArnoldosAquariums

ArnoldosAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Had brown jelly again yesterday morning so I tried Hydrogen Peroxide and Iodine again and moved to low flow/low light. Had no PE all day and Brown Jelly again this morning. Removed from frag tank to protect the rest of the coral. Total bummer

Watch the video that I did, and that should help

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back