brown moss that bubbles stick too,plz help.

Reeftankin420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres some kinda alge in my tank that bubbles stick to n i was wonderin if someone could tell me how to get rid of it, its gettin on my last nerve...thanks

pelagic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any changes to your tank? new light? adding something? new tank? is it fully cycled? something died? running active carbon? carbon source?

Pants

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While your description is limited it does sound like Dinos. Can you tell is more about your tank or provide photos.

Pants

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a newly cycled tank then it is almost certainly the expected diatom bloom you get with new tanks. But if it is an established system then it is probably a dinoflagellate bloom. If you peek at some if my other posts you'll see I study dinoflagellates and would actually like a sample.

Pebbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a dinoflagellate problem... This is usually caused by an imbalance between calcium and alkaline, which in turn results in a lower ph.

What I would do is test your water to determine why your ph is low, then slowly raise your ph by increasing whatever is lacking.

In my case my alkalinity was low relative to my calcium levels, and increasing alkaline killed the Dino.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that this is a new tank issue. We all have/had diatoms, dinos, cyano, green hair, you name it, we all had one or more in the beginning especially. you need to list your parameters for us, that way we have a better idea of what we might be able to tweak in order to help.

OP
OP
R

Reeftankin420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but yeah it was stringy with trapped bubbles,it pretty much was gone in a day after i did a water change. if it comes back ill remember you pants... but i have to start over cause my two tanks wer sabotaged with bleach, i think my corals might make it tho

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back