Brown tang acting lethargic

G-money123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My powder brown tang has been acting very strange lately. It swims very little (it used to race around the 190g tank.

It doesn’t seem to be eating. I just dropped some pellets and flake in and it seemed to be slightly interested but then didn’t consume anything.
It looks like it has tiny little bubbles on its body and eyes (hopefully that comes across in the photo).

I’m wondering if anyone knows what is going on and if this is normal.

image.jpg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This appears to be either cryptocaryon (ich) or velvet. You need to treat quickly. A rapid respiration rate would suggest that velvet is more likely.

In either case, quarantine and treatment with either copper power or copper safe is your best solution.

Look in the stickies for this forum to review the current recommended protocols.

You should try to get the concentration of either copper product into the 2.0 - 2.5 ppm range in 12 to 24 hours given the stage the parasites are in to be most effective.

OP
OP
G-money123

G-money123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea thats definitely ich or velvet is it hiding from the light? swimming into the powerhead? also any of your other fish with these symptoms?
I don’t think the other fish seem to be infected, although it is tough to know. We have two snowflake clown fish (so they are white) and a green chromis which doesn’t look infected. I will need to get a quarantine tank and start the treatment. Thanks for your response!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 78.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back