Brown, tangled gha looking stuff

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the picture is bad. It's the best I could do. Looks like tangled, brown GHA. Nutrients have always been low because I don't have any fish, but this has appeared. White spots are detritus I stirred up - it catches everything. Any ideas? (edit: This patch is about the size of a quarter)

1626882691615.png

Last edited:

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the pictures are bad. It's the best I could do. Looks like tangled, brown GHA. Nutrients have always been low because I don't have any fish, but this has appeared. White spots are detritus I stirred up - it catches everything. Any ideas?

1626882691615.png
Seems huge, but can't tell much else from photo. It didn't get that big overnight, so are you intending to keep it?

If not, then start getting in there and manually pull out. If it is on rocks you can remove, pull out and scrub with toothbrush. If rocks have nothing encrusted, living on it that you want to keep (corals) then dip in hydrogen peroxide.

Rule of thumb, however long it took to get that way, with continual work it should take that long to reverse... I find its better to get after something while still small.

Good luck

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not too bad now. That picture makes it look really big because it's zoomed in. I just want to get it taken care of before it gets everywhere. Unfortunately, it is growing where my CUC has a hard time getting to it. I was just wishfully hoping to hear something like "That is xyz. Just dose with abc for a week". I can't take the rock out, so I may use the @brandon429 approach - get in there and scrape it down to bare rock with an old knife blade.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back