Brown underside of monti cap?

Jason Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2017
Messages
26
Reaction score
13
Location
Canada
What state or country do you live in
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently ventured into SPS and thought I'd start with a small piece of red monti cap. It's grown a bit in my tank over the last month. I've noticed the underside is getting progressively more brown. Is this normal? I don't notice any discoloration on the top side, just on the bottom. Everyone online talks about browning on the top, not the bottom. It's glued to a rock near the top of my tank.

I've noticed browning on part of the bottom of my lepto too, but the top is also growing and the color is great. Is that where the browning starts?

thanks in advance
 
Without knowing anything about your tank, I am guessing it is due to lack of light on the bottom of the coral?
 
Without knowing anything about your tank, I am guessing it is due to lack of light on the bottom of the coral?

All params in ideal ranges. Radion G3 pro for lighting. I just never realized it would brown on the bottom, but it makes sense as it doesn't get any light. I honestly can't remember what it looked like on the bottom when I bought it.

I'll monitor... thanks for replies.
 
All params in ideal ranges. Radion G3 pro for lighting. I just never realized it would brown on the bottom, but it makes sense as it doesn't get any light. I honestly can't remember what it looked like on the bottom when I bought it.

I'll monitor... thanks for replies.
Yeah, that is one of the downsides to LED lighting...any areas that are shadowed causes what you are seeing. As BoomCorals stated, normally turns brown before turning white. I run the same lights and experience the same issues.
 
Yeah, that is one of the downsides to LED lighting...any areas that are shadowed causes what you are seeing. As BoomCorals stated, normally turns brown before turning white. I run the same lights and experience the same issues.
That's not specific to LED. I know of no halide or T5 that can light the underside of a monti cap. :)
 
That's not specific to LED. I know of no halide or T5 that can light the underside of a monti cap. :)
Lol true.......I was talking more specific to the shadowing issues :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new