BRS 2 Part Pharma Mixing Weights

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey BRS team! I'd like to start mixing my Soda Ash and Calcium Chloride by weight rather than volume. For the 1 gallon resulting solution, do you happen to know what the 2 1/2 cups of BRS Pharma Calcium Chloride and 2 1/3 cups of BRS Pharma Soda weight? I'm not sure if you get the density from your supplier but if you had that, I could do the math as well. Thanks in advance!

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey BRS team! I'd like to start mixing my Soda Ash and Calcium Chloride by weight rather than volume. For the 1 gallon resulting solution, do you happen to know what the 2 1/2 cups of BRS Pharma Calcium Chloride and 2 1/3 cups of BRS Pharma Soda weight? I'm not sure if you get the density from your supplier but if you had that, I could do the math as well. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the question! I'm going to find this out today and get back to you, but even better.... this one is going to make the #AskBRStv video series for next week! I think this is a great quick tidbit to share with the entire community as well. :)

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the question! I'm going to find this out today and get back to you, but even better.... this one is going to make the #AskBRStv video series for next week! I think this is a great quick tidbit to share with the entire community as well. :)
Great thanks! Would you be able to cover Magnesium Chloride/Magnesium Sulfate (the mixture used for your Magnesium calculator) and Sodium Bicarbonate?

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go!

CaCl- 2-1/2 cups = (~1.177 lbs) / (~534 grams)

Soda Ash - 2-1/3 cups =
(~0.891 lbs) / (~403.5 grams)

Magnesium Mix for General Adjustments
Mag Chloride - 7-1/4 cups = (~3.114 lbs) / (~1412.5 grams)
Mag Sulfate - 1/2 cups = (~0.229 lbs) / (~103.5 grams)​

Magnesium Mix for 2-part Maintenance
Mag Chloride - 5-1/4 cups = (~2.221 lbs) / (~1007.5 grams)
Mag Sulfate - 2 cups = (~0.922 lbs) / (~418 grams)

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go!

CaCl- 2-1/2 cups = (~1.177 lbs) / (~534 grams)

Soda Ash - 2-1/3 cups =
(~0.891 lbs) / (~403.5 grams)

Magnesium Mix for General Adjustments
Mag Chloride - 7-1/4 cups = (~3.114 lbs) / (~1412.5 grams)
Mag Sulfate - 1/2 cups = (~0.229 lbs) / (~103.5 grams)​

Magnesium Mix for 2-part Maintenance
Mag Chloride - 5-1/4 cups = (~2.221 lbs) / (~1007.5 grams)
Mag Sulfate - 2 cups = (~0.922 lbs) / (~418 grams)

You guys are the best! Thanks so much.

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS Thanks for this info. For me, it's a lot easier and much more accurate to measure weight than volume.

I notice that the numbers posted above conflict with the weights listed on the site for the 7 lb bags. Here is what the 7 lbs bag sites say.

CaCl- 2-1/2 cups = 514 gram

Soda Ash - 2-1/3 cups = 381 grams

Am I reading it right?

So if I'm doing my math right, there is about ~20g difference in the numbers, which equates to about 5.2% concentration (dosing) error max. Using the BRS calculator, if my system is 135 gallons and I'm dosing 125 mL/day to compensate for daily consumption of 1.297 dkh. So each time I change out my 2 part jugs, 20g (5%) of concentration error could result in a 0.0674 dkh (1.297*5%) of a daily dosing error. In 30 days' time, the 0.0674 dkH daily dosing error will accumulate to a 2 dKH shift in Alk. Double-check my math though.

For some, it may not really matter but figured I'd pass it along in case anyone else was wondering the same and are like me trying to minimize manually dosing if possible. Hope this helps and thanks for all you do!

Last edited:

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS Thanks for this info. For me, it's a lot easier and much more accurate to measure weight than volume.

I notice that the numbers posted above conflict with the weights listed on the site for the 7 lb bags. Here is what the 7 lbs bag sites say.

CaCl- 2-1/2 cups = 514 gram

Soda Ash - 2-1/3 cups = 381 grams

Am I reading it right?

So if I'm doing my math right, there is about ~20g difference in the numbers, which equates to about 5.2% concentration (dosing) error max. Using the BRS calculator, if my system is 135 gallons and I'm dosing 125 mL/day to compensate for daily consumption of 1.297 dkh. So each time I change out my 2 part jugs, 20g (5%) of concentration error could result in a 0.0674 dkh (1.297*5%) of a daily dosing error. In 30 days' time, the 0.0674 dkH daily dosing error will accumulate to a 2 dKH shift in Alk. Double-check my math though.

For some, it may not really matter but figured I'd pass it along in case anyone else was wondering the same and are like me trying to minimize manually dosing if possible. Hope this helps and thanks for all you do!

The conversion from volume to weight isn't always ultra precise, so there can be a few grams difference depending on how accurate your measuring cups/scales are, how densely packed the powder is, and if any moisture potentially got into the bag.

At the end of the day, a 20 gram or 5% difference in concentration isn't a big deal as long as you're mixing up your two part the same way every time. Maybe not exactly the 37,000 ppm calcium and 5,300 dKH that our mixing instructions should mix up to, but for 99.9% of reefers, it's going to be so incredibly close that it's not worth worrying about.

I'd venture to say that there is more than 5% error in most of the test kits out there anyway, so it's all about consistency in everything we do from mixing up two part to testing our reefs :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back