BRS 2part and Red Sea trace elements

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for people with experience using BRS 2part with Red Sea trace elements. I was going to switch over to the Triton method last year. Then they changed the containers. It was out of stock for months and I am still hearing stories about the new containers leaking.

I have stuck with the BRS 2part. It has worked great and their new containers are better than their old ones. My phosphate and nitrate stay low without having to do water changes. My only problem is some of my bigger LPS start shrinking. My water test fine. Then I get my ICP results and most of my trace elements are o. I seen on one of BRS videos they said 1 ml of the Red Sea for every 50 ml of their 2part.

Has anyone used this combination? If some what was your dose of each?

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the BRS/Red Sea combo for a few years with good success. On a 29 gallon mixed tank I was dosing 50-60ml day of both Alk and Ca through a doser and daily I was using roughly 1-2ml/day of each ABCD. But I was also using the Colors Test Kit. Now on a new 40br tank my Ca is only about 10ml/day so I quite for now testing the Colors and dose off of the Ca uptake. I would recommend picking up the Colors Test Kit if your unfamiliar with dosing trace. It’s easy to overdose I2 and K.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the BRS 2 part/Red Sea Colors combo...it has been working well (see my recently updated build thread for pics).

Noobreefer22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking doing this as way
My tank is empty now but want to do mix reef

OP
OP
rcpalmer1

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently sent off an ICP test. I've done towo 25% water changes and may do one or two more. Then I do not plan on doing very more water changes if any. Currently I am dosing 48 ml of BRS two-part and 1 ml of each of the Red Sea Trace elements. My alkalinity still seems to be dropping so I may have to increase my two-part dosing. I plan on increasing my Trace element dosing at a rate of 1 ml for every 50 mL of two part. I will try to set an alarm to give an update in about 30 days and let everybody know my results.

OP
OP
rcpalmer1

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I received my results from ICP testing. I did a 25 gallon water tank. And then I started dose 1 ml a day of the Red Sea Trace elements since I am using approximately 50 mL of BRS 2 part. The first couple of days my large polyp LPS, when I say large polyp I mean LPS's that have the biggest polyps which are my trachyphyllia, meat corals and acans to an extent, started looking a lot better. They were the main reason that I could tell something was not quite right in the aquarium. But after a few days they started to shrink back down. My meat corals are probably almost dead but I was wanting to give it 30 days of dose the Red Sea Trace elements and resubmit and ICP test so that I could compare the difference. It has been three weeks to the day and as much as it pains me to see these corals wasting away I cannot wait another week so I just took a sample and I am sending it to Triton today I'm going to do another water change and continue to dose the Red Sea Trace elements. I suspect that when I started to dose the Trace Elements I had did a water change cleaned up all my equipment and I had also replaced my small media reactor with the BRS.08 carbon and gfo. I think that the carbon is stripping out the iodine that these particular corals, that are not doing well are very iodine dependent on, because my SPS and other Corals in the tank are growing. In the last 3 weeks you can see a huge difference in their growth. So what I'm going to do now is I am going to do the same water change and shut off my carbon reactor. I am going to run another 3 weeks doing the exact same thing as I did the previous three weeks and then send another ICP test and see if there is a difference which will tell me if the carbon was stripping out my Trace elements and if so which Trace elements it is stripping out. I would be happy to hear anybody's feedback if they think.

Woolwich01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just over one month in dosing Red Sea colors base on alk consumption. Last week I compared pictures from the day I started dosing the red sea colors and I can say that I do see some increased growth in a few of my lps and sps corals.

I took new pictures and I will compare again in another month. I’m dosing on Sunday’s only, 7 ml of the trace color based on a daily consumption of 55ml of brs two part. 60 gallon tank.

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually getting on this train so I'll follow along. I've been running BRS 2 part for years and dosing Sr/Mo. I'm now running 8 channels on the dosers, and I've already seen increased color and robustness with A,B,C,D in the past week.

LAFANBLUE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just over one month in dosing Red Sea colors base on alk consumption. Last week I compared pictures from the day I started dosing the red sea colors and I can say that I do see some increased growth in a few of my lps and sps corals.

I took new pictures and I will compare again in another month. I’m dosing on Sunday’s only, 7 ml of the trace color based on a daily consumption of 55ml of brs two part. 60 gallon tank.

I assume you ment based off of Calcium consumption not Alk right?

OP
OP
rcpalmer1

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been three weeks since I sent my last water sample to Triton. I wanted to do another ICP test but I have not received the results from the last one. I contacted Triton. So apparently Triton doesn't get mail sent to the address on the shipping label included in some test kits. The said they would send a new test kit. I sent them a link to this thread. I ask about since I was only testing so close together only so I could see the effects of dosing the Red Sea that the first test results have to be redone plus I am out shipping. They did not seem to care. I don't mind paying more for a product. If I do I expect to get either I higher quality or better service. It doesn't fell like I got either. I will buy some more different brand ICP test and try to redo the test for anyone interested. I will start a new tread when I do.

Back