BRS 5 micron before 1 micron carbon block?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok its about time to chage out my RODI filters. i run a 5 stage spectra pure system. I am currently on well water but will be moving over the state line still in the country. ( I have yet to get a water report) but I will have a water softener.

so my questions I wanted to run by the R2R fam.
is who is using a 5 micron carbon block before the 1 micron.? and do I really need 2 carbon chambers would there be any benifite from running my DI in to chambers VS two carbon blocks?

I use the GE sediment filter that BRS sales and love it. was just thinking about the 2 carbon slots.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purpose of carbon blocks is to remove VOCs and chlorine. If your carbon blocks plug with sediment they can no longer work. So really, the job of the sediment filter is to protect the carbon blocks (and all other downstream filters).

You at least want a sediment filter with the same size rating as your carbon block. Ideally, you'd use a smaller sediment filter than your carbon block. If you use a 5 micron sediment filter, particles under 5 microns will pass through. These will easily clog a 1 micron carbon block and render it useless long before it loses the ability to process chlorine and VOCs.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sediment filter is a 1 micron.
so the question is still there should I go with two 1 micron or 1st a 5 then a 1. I have done both in the past but did not notice any difference, so I thought I would ask Y'all

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think the general rule of thumb is large to small.
Even with sediment filtration.

As you know, carbon is used or advertised primarily for city water loaded with chlorines.
That said when it comes to well water there are other nasties that it will remove and is just as beneficial.

I am on a well and I chose to add more carbon canisters.
I live in a agricultural area and wjo knows what may leach into the aquifer.
So I feel more comfortable using more carbon than would otherwise be recomended. My theory of better safe than sorry.

MJ in Boise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 micron sediment, 1 micron sediment, 5 micron carbon, 1 micron carbon. First sediment takes most of the abuse.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 1 micron then a .5 micron carbon block on my system.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 micron sediment, 1 micron sediment, 5 micron carbon, 1 micron carbon. First sediment takes most of the abuse.

that would be nice, but i would need to add to my RODI. my 1 micron does a great job.
I think i'll just go with 5 carbon block the a 1. if the new water source is different then I will adjust as needed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back