BRS 750? What's going on with it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seen any updates on the 750 in a long time. I know that tank has had it's share of issues. But has it overcome them and is it thriving now?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All things considered, it's going well! About a week ago, we removed the 10 gen 4 XR15's and replaced them with 4 gen 5 XR30's. We were really impressed with the spread of these lights from our BRStv Investigates episode from a few months back and that's what prompted the change. Plus, who doesn't like new gear ;)

The biggest challenge right now is Aiptasia. You can't tell from the photo, but it has spread throughout the whole tank at this point. Aiptasia eating file fish and berghia nudibranchs have been deployed, but they've got a lot of work to do. On the plus side, the corals are growing! Some faster than others, but I think this time next year, this tank is going to start looking more and more like a show tank!

1609254359899.png

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. I remember in the beginning of this tank Ryan was determined about keeping Aptasia out. Any idea how it got in?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. I remember in the beginning of this tank Ryan was determined about keeping Aptasia out. Any idea how it got in?

Ryan wanted to seed Coralline in this tank way back when we first got it started up. He took a seemingly clean scraping of Coralline from the BRS160, which was having aiptasia issues at the time. Looking back on it, we would have done things differently in that regard. Probably would have used the ARC Reef Coralline in a bottle spores instead.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many berghias did you guys deploy ? Just trying to understand the quantity you went with . Also did you apply F aiptasia as I saw a the review video from BRS saying it was tried and worked

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many berghias did you guys deploy ? Just trying to understand the quantity you went with . Also did you apply F aiptasia as I saw a the review video from BRS saying it was tried and worked

A few dozen berghias, however, we knew there was a risk they wouldn't make it due to the wrasse in the tank. The hope was that they would begin to breed and maybe they would be able to hide in the rockwork enough to breed faster than they were being eaten. How successful the berghia will be is still to be determined.

We did use F Aiptasia on a section of the tank. While it did work, it's not the best tool for this specific issue as the aiptasia infestation is so large. If there were only a dozen or two, then F Aiptasia would be a rock solid plan of attack.

We'll battle on and eventually beat them :)

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high above the water are the Radions mounted? They look to be higher than the typical recommendation. Also, are the the Radions the Pros or the Blues? How is the par and coverage, and is another G5 planned when the tank grows out more, or are the 4 Radions expected to be sufficient?

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high above the water are the Radions mounted? They look to be higher than the typical recommendation. Also, are the the Radions the Pros or the Blues? How is the par and coverage, and is another G5 planned when the tank grows out more, or are the 4 Radions expected to be sufficient?
I am running 4 Gen 5 xr30 pros on mine using the RMS multi light mount that attaches to the tank with the bar going across the center like theirs. My lights are also mounted perpendicular to the glass. At 44% I am getting 150-180 par on the sand bed pretty much everywhere. Getting 250-300 par at the highest points of my rockwork which are about halfway up the tank. I highly doubt a 5th light would be needed.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just took a quick measurement and the XR30 Blue's are currently about 10" off the surface of the water. I don't have the exact settings off hand, but we tuned the lights so that as much of the tank as possible was in the 200-350 PAR range, perfect for the SPS corals that we're keeping.

I don't think we'll need to add any additional Radions to the tank, but we will be swapping out the G5's for G6's here in the near future, which will further help on the spread front. The lenses on the G6's provide amazing spread!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back