BRS and Neptune Merger

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And then they sell to PetCo. Then you can buy the Radion next to the algae filled tank so you can see what it does. (It’s a great light, don’t take this the wrong way.)
there are lots
And sells it to PetCo. LOL
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA so funny - for gods sake - really? first petco is not universally bad. Second -its economics. People against this should start their own business

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love BRS, but they are starting to feel like the reefkeeping equivalent of the Borg. Even starting to soak up existing youtube channels and hobby celebs now. Tendrils reaching into every aspect of the hobby. LOL! Far as Neptune, if we didn't see that coming, we are just not paying attention. IMO, it will make most aspects of owning a Neptune system easier, trade off is prices will continue to rise.
IMHO they are not. Now - perhaps they are competing with R2R - but my guess is that R2R can handle it

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are lots

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA so funny - for gods sake - really? first petco is not universally bad. Second -its economics. People against this should start their own business
Deleted.

Last edited:

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly off topic, but Neptune seems to have inconsistent customer experiences from what I’ve read. I purchased an Apex about a year ago, and almost immediately one of the ports on my FMM went bad. I didn’t want to waste my time dealing with tech support only to then pay for them to repair something less than a few months old. So it’s either they tried to build it as cheaply as possible or bad manufacturing processes. When my unit dies I’ll switch to GHL
Curious. Where did you buy it?

I had an issue with an FMM (1of 5) as well. I didn’t discover the issue until I had time to install weeks after delivery. The unit should have clearly failed QA as the main board was detached from the chassis (I provided pictures). I contacted BRS and they sent a replacement ASAP and told me to do what I wanted with the defective unit. Once I got the new one I opened the bad one and properly glued the main board to the chassis. I did not do this earlier as I don’t like to void warranties. It now works.

I had another issue with strange errors involving leak sensors and contacted Neptune. They were convinced the issue wasn’t the FMM and were confident that if I troubleshooted we could get to the bottom of it. It took weeks to resolve the issue because I was willing to troubleshoot and each step involved plugging and unloading and testing and reporting.

Sure enough the issue wasn’t the FMM. Despite plugging in different leak sensors into the FMM I would get the same wonky behavior. The tech told me he used to work for Ford and that customers would bring things in saying this and that. He took cars out for a ride with the customer to observe first hand. One issue was so bizarre that it only presented itself when you drove by a specific cell tower.

And so it was with this FMM issue. The cables for some sensors are suuuuuuuuuper long. By design. The problem [the design] is that with long skinny cables that aren’t particularly well insulated interference can become a problem. I happen to have my Apex in a network closet full of non reefing devices. Laptops ( on), smart home controllers, smart light controllers, network switches and wireless access points, etc. They suggested I buy some ferrite cores and place them on the problem sensors as close to the FMM port as possible.

Hot dog! That was it. All of my wonky behaviors I experienced with the Apex, the FMM went away. For good.

Is not an excuse, but we need context: Neptune developed this line of products the better part a decade ago. They introduced a revolutionary product to a niche market. Lots of risk. I’m not surprised that they didn’t go an extra mile.

Fast forward to today and I I think it is surprising that they haven’t iterated on their line up SINCE LAUNCH particularly given their price points in a niche market. Surely they are established enough to iterate? Surely their is enough data to at least provide ferrite cores for certain sensors? I don’t believe for a second I was the only one with my issue. In fact, I added my experience to that of one reported here on Reef2Reef.

I don’t know why and perhaps it is just greed. Maybe it is just business. Anecdotally, how many users have had positive versus negative experiences? Who knows? We do know that negative experiences tend to be reported more than positive ones. How many of us have logged a positive review about a restaurant or destination? What about negative ones?

What I do know is that they are at a cross roads. They now have competition. Fledgling perhaps, but impressive and modern and they are produced by more or less reputable companies. They will need to adjust to this reality with price point and innovation and iteration. They aren’t the only game in town now. With the BRS partnership the stakes are even higher.

I think we’re going to see some hugely positive gains from this partnership.

If we don’t, then we now also have options that want nothing more than to gobble up Neptune [and BRS customers].

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has Innovative Marine and Ecotech been gobbled up too? Anyone confirm the rumors? Might get these companies to play nice with each other all the while creating an opportunity for smaller companies without all the middlemen and massive marketing costs to create and sell direct some real nice products to compete as well.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BF29AB46-A032-44CE-A045-E3F084C383BA.jpeg

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there goes the honest reviews they used to do on Neptune systems. Lol
You will NEVER hear anything bad from them. its sad really. BRS grew way to much and lost the touché they had with the customers. We liked them because they were one of us. Now they are just a big ugly company that buys out others. Quality has gone down hill over the past few years.

I Dont like or support any BRS anything anymore.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You will NEVER hear anything bad from them. its sad really. BRS grew way to much and lost the touché they had with the customers. We liked them because they were one of us. Now they are just a big ugly company that buys out others. Quality has gone down hill over the past few years.

I Dont like or support any BRS anything anymore.
Curious - why would anyone sell a product - and then say bad things about it?

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - why would anyone sell a product - and then say bad things about it?
To be an open an honest company. Act as a middle man for companies that want to make products but don't have the distribution set up. What's the point of reviews if all of them are good, that negates the entire point. Do you never want truth or honesty in a review? I would NEVER go to a company or youtube channel that only gave good reviews on products that screams liars to me. Do you not want to know if a product is bad? Like? What?!

Edit I thought of one more reason. To provide feed back to the manufacturer with some public weight behind it so they cha he the product for the better. And if they don't them you know not to trust that company or product etc.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To be an open an honest company. Act as a middle man for companies that want to make products but don't have the distribution set up. What's the point of reviews if all of them are good, that negates the entire point. Do you never want truth or honesty in a review? I would NEVER go to a company or youtube channel that only gave good reviews on products that screams liars to me. Do you not want to know if a product is bad? Like? What?!

Edit I thought of one more reason. To provide feed back to the manufacturer with some public weight behind it so they cha he the product for the better. And if they don't them you know not to trust that company or product etc.
Yeah - no I guess more what I meant was 'why would a company KNOWINGLY' promote a substandard product. I guess the obvious answer is 'to make money'. FWIW - my opinion is that BRS has been and still is excellent when I've used them. I'm not sure whether these mergers will help or hurt. Frankly - I have not been a huge fan of Neptune. It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well hopefully Terrance goes somewhere that designs and builds a quality product that competes with Neptune stateside. GHL build quality with the Neptune user interface, count me in for one of the first orders

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most effective use of BRS investment money is to use it to lobby for the industry to prevent retarded regulations and bans and to get suppliers to do feel good measures, to appease the urban environmental nuts (who couldn't tell the difference between an alder and oak, have every daily plastic want delivered to them, but will blindly preach more zealously than any cult member any of the latest propaganda on government control and regulation of everything--i mean "science" on pick your favorite government paid for, pay back for voting the right politicians into office, research, e.g., global warming).

Things like getting suppliers to mariculture/aquaculture corals and fish and replant a few frags/fish on reefs for every one sold to hobbyists is sensible and gets the nuts to go preach about something else. It makes it hard enough to argue against the hobby....

The reality is that only 20,000 years ago, a blip in time in this earth's 5 billion year history, many reefs did not exist at all. The fact reefs have been changing locations, dying, regrowing elsewhere, is not unusual at all. In fact, it's normal. This is not to say actual pollution should not be controlled, and overfishing and destructive practices prevented--but the idea that humans can control the weather or climate over time or where reefs will locate themselves it utter ridiculous nonsense and a load of Dingo's kidneys. The ideas of attempting to control or change the ocean's PH remind me of the Army Core of Engineer's brilliant idea of deciding to drain the everglades in the early 1900's.... That propaganda and bought and paid for results already decided science needs to be combatted with reality because the overthetop false scaremongering is what will lead to the destruction of this hobby...

Last edited:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%

Back