Brs gfo vs kolar gfo

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are only a few places in the world that make GFO. I have no idea what Kolar is, but usually the regular stuff is all the same and the high capacity stuff is all the same. It is mostly just rebranded with different names with different prices.

OP
OP
VanDalsenReef

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are only a few places in the world that make GFO. I have no idea what Kolar is, but usually the regular stuff is all the same and the high capacity stuff is all the same. It is mostly just rebranded with different names with different prices.
They like the biggest company for gfo I believe. So exactly what you were saying. Thank you for the help. Saving like 12 bucks this way.

Willhersh34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using Kolar for the very reason you seem to be. The manufacturers are using identical stuff then rebranding it. The Kolar is readily available and cheaper from Amazon. And since I’m a prime member (who isn’t these days) free 2 day shipping. I love BRS but I also like saving a buck or 2. Go figure.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am saying that it is very likely that BRS just resells the same stuff at a mark up. I have some GFO. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of it unbranded from eBay or Amazon (I forgot, it has been so long) and it works just like Rowa or any other GFO out there. I have never seen anything compelling to spend more on GFO.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang! GFO has gone up. The last 5g bucket that I bought was like $149 and now it is $285 for generic, $300 at saltwater aquarium and $320 for BRS. Wow! Glad that I don't need much of this.

FWIW - I would buy the generic stuff if I was buying.

Willhersh34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang! GFO has gone up. The last 5g bucket that I bought was like $149 and now it is $285 for generic, $300 at saltwater aquarium and $320 for BRS. Wow! Glad that I don't need much of this.

FWIW - I would buy the generic stuff if I was buying.
Same with everything these days. I’m sure some law of supply and demand crap from Econ 101 applies here but it boils down to how much is tied up in shipping delays right now. World gone mad. Lol. I think I last got a few oz. on Amazon for like $20 which I’m sure is upper marked up but it is what it is.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - why do you say use regular GFO and not the high capacity stuff?
It is less expensive if you buy like 10lbs. That said I run a fuge in my frag system and a remote fuge on my 80. I dont use any po4 reducing media anymore.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that the average person will get the most out of the high capacity with either too long of run times or using it passively. Even if it is used correctly, you need to use less to not pull too much out of the water. In the end, it always seemed like a push to me if you used it right and a waste if you did not.

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They could be the same, I have no idea. All I know is I have some Kolar HC that I ordered off Amazon to try, because it costs so much to ship stuff here and it was free to Alaska. A couple days of it in my reactor and it was in my filter roll and all over media bags. I've used the BRS stuff for years and never had an issue with that. Perhaps an error on my part, I didn't do anything differently, but I've used GFO for a long time and never had that happen before.

Back