BRS Heater Controller Probe Extension

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to extend the probe cable of the Bulk Reef Supply Aquarium Heater Controller? Based on my setup, I need an extra ~2ft. to be able to keep my electronics away from possible contact with water. It appears that a 3.5mm audio cable will work, but I don't want to extend it if doing so will affect its performance. For what it's worth, I have not had any issues with its performance in the last few months that it's been installed.

Below, the product photo is annotated with the connection in question:
212309-brs-exb-thermostat-controller-fr2.jpg

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to extend the probe cable of the Bulk Reef Supply Aquarium Heater Controller? Based on my setup, I need an extra ~2ft. to be able to keep my electronics away from possible contact with water. It appears that a 3.5mm audio cable will work, but I don't want to extend it if doing so will affect its performance. For what it's worth, I have not had any issues with its performance in the last few months that it's been installed.

Below, the product photo is annotated with the connection in question:
212309-brs-exb-thermostat-controller-fr2.jpg

My assumption is that you could easily extend with a 3.5 mm extension cable. That said, I don't know for sure, so I'm going to get my hands on an aftermarket extension cable and try it out to see what happens.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My assumption is that you could easily extend with a 3.5 mm extension cable. That said, I don't know for sure, so I'm going to get my hands on an aftermarket extension cable and try it out to see what happens.
I appreciate your help! :)

I assume that it should be okay to extend, but some products aren’t meant to be modified due to performance reasons, so I wanted to ask before I attempt it and cause inaccurate readings.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your help! :)

I assume that it should be okay to extend, but some products aren’t meant to be modified due to performance reasons, so I wanted to ask before I attempt it and cause inaccurate readings.

Just plugged in an extension cable this morning. So far, so good. Temp reading before adding the cable was 77.3 and after adding the cable, it's also 77.3. I'll monitor throughout the day for any changes, but it looks like zero issues on my end.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just plugged in an extension cable this morning. So far, so good. Temp reading before adding the cable was 77.3 and after adding the cable, it's also 77.3. I'll monitor throughout the day for any changes, but it looks like zero issues on my end.
Great!

Thanks so much for taking the time to test this for the community!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back