BRS Heater Temp swings?

Mmcghee102485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a BRS Hester 300w and controller. I have the temp to come on at 78 and off at 78.5. I’m still having swings of a couple degrees, is this normal and ok? Or should I be concerned?

AFDB127F-984B-4772-A01D-21F12A92ADD9.jpeg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a 1 degree swing from the Ranco on my chiller, so small ones aren't a problem. 2 degrees would be more than I would want, but i doubt it's really a problem. I've not used the BRS stuff, though it appears to simply be a rebadged Inkbird (or whomever makes/supplies the controller to Inkbird). Differential should be the boundaries of the heating swings. Perhaps the 300 element is too large and you're getting some overshoot at the high level. Doesn't explain the low level though . Have you compared BRS to Apex in terms of calibration?.

BRS branded heater elements look like good quality (I forget who makes them; reputable German company); I'd pass on the controller though. Wonder why they didn't rebadge Ranco.

Last edited:

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
when I had my BRS 200w hooked directly up to my Apex I was getting a rock-solid on at 77 and off at 78.
Now that i have an Inkbird hooked to my Apex and the inkbird controls the temp and my Apex is the backup the temps are not consistent. I see you have the BRS controller and that is basically the inkbird. I will say the inkbird leaves alot ot be desired in its ability to be consistent and accurate

Capture.JPG

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the BRS titanium 300w hooked up to my reef keeper, its on below 78.8 and off at 79. Holds temp perfect.

OP
OP
Mmcghee102485

Mmcghee102485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I had my BRS 200w hooked directly up to my Apex I was getting a rock-solid on at 77 and off at 78.
Now that i have an Inkbird hooked to my Apex and the inkbird controls the temp and my Apex is the backup the temps are not consistent. I see you have the BRS controller and that is basically the inkbird. I will say the inkbird leaves alot ot be desired in its ability to be consistent and accurate

Capture.JPG

Have you done anything to replace it?

OP
OP
Mmcghee102485

Mmcghee102485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a 1 degree swing from the Ranco on my chiller, so small ones aren't a problem. 2 degrees would be more than I would want, but i doubt it's really a problem. I've not used the BRS stuff, though it appears to simply be a rebadged Inkbird (or whomever makes/supplies the controller to Inkbird). Differential should be the boundaries of the heating swings. Perhaps the 300 element is too large and you're getting some overshoot at the high level. Doesn't explain the low level though . Have you compared BRS to Apex in terms of calibration?.

BRS branded heater elements look like good quality (I forget who makes them; reputable German company); I'd pass on the controller though. Wonder why they didn't rebadge Ranco.
I calibrated both to a Hanna temp prob I have. When I had it hooked up to just the apex it was smaller swings for sure. But wanted a additional controller to not wear the apex power bar out.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much everything I’ve seen regarding the BRS heaters and controllers says the heaters are good but the controller is mediocre at best.

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting this I am also trying to find answers. I am also trying to save my apex relay so I added back my old inkbird controller that is supposed to have 1 degree swings, it is more like 2 degrees.

Annotation 2020-05-14 161734.png

Will this cause issues with the SPS corals?

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a BRS Hester 300w and controller. I have the temp to come on at 78 and off at 78.5. I’m still having swings of a couple degrees, is this normal and ok? Or should I be concerned?

AFDB127F-984B-4772-A01D-21F12A92ADD9.jpeg
1C90E6E8-8505-41C5-992C-2FB43BEAAAE3.png

I have a BRS heater also but I’m most certain I over shot on the heating element
One of these days gotta bite the bullet and buy a set of the next size down

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is OK for your temperature to fluctuate a few degrees, even through the course of a day.

Have you ever been diving? Warm and cold currents come through on the reef quite often. Corals can hang. It's not a big deal.

There was a study put out a few years ago examining how corals in our tanks dealt with fluctuating temperatures and if I remember the gist of it correctly it basically stated that corals grow used to either fluctuating or not. If you have a tank that moves a degree or two then those corals will be fine with it. But if your tank is always 78.3 and it jumps to 80, you might see bleaching/RTN.

I can't find the specific paper now. I will keep looking and get back to you if I can find it.

OP
OP
Mmcghee102485

Mmcghee102485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1C90E6E8-8505-41C5-992C-2FB43BEAAAE3.png

I have a BRS heater also but I’m most certain I over shot on the heating element
One of these days gotta bite the bullet and buy a set of the next size down

The heater I like from BRS, the controller I didn’t. They refunded me my money. Believe it or not I went with the inkbird controller (green) and have had better luck. I know BRS is the a inkbird type product but with my new one I’m only getting 1 degree swings now. Go figure....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back