BRS now charges sales tax?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hatfielj
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

hatfielj

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2007
Messages
2,717
Reaction score
2,466
Location
Ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Has anyone else noticed that BRS is now charging sales tax? I hate to say it, but I can't justify buying from them anymore because of this. The best part of buying things online is not paying sales tax. I mean, I know technically you're supposed to report those sales when you file taxes, but who does that?
 
Has anyone else noticed that BRS is now charging sales tax? I hate to say it, but I can't justify buying from them anymore because of this. The best part of buying things online is not paying sales tax. I mean, I know technically you're supposed to report those sales when you file taxes, but who does that?
I do not believe that is BRS choice. You can thank the US government for giving the states the power to require them to
 
I do not believe that is BRS choice. You can thank the US government for giving the states the power to require them to
Was that part of the recent tax reform?
 
Has anyone else noticed that BRS is now charging sales tax? I hate to say it, but I can't justify buying from them anymore because of this. The best part of buying things online is not paying sales tax. I mean, I know technically you're supposed to report those sales when you file taxes, but who does that?
I just ordered a new rodi last week and I was charged any tax.
 
I think this is around the 4th or 5th thread on this and they have been charging it for a few months now. Just another great move by the tax man to make sure he's getting his cut. And sale taxes or not BRS does have some of the best pricing on items out there. Just be thankful you dont get charged a 53% fee for your purchase like I get whenever I do order from them which is seldom for that reason. BUT they carry much more than most Canadian Online Vendors so we're kind of stuck in that regard.:p
 
I just ordered a new rodi last week and I was charged any tax.

It all depends on whether or not your state of residence has enacted laws for online shopping. Some have, some haven't yet.
 
Was that part of the recent tax reform?
I just ordered a new rodi last week and I was charged any tax.
From what I understand it's state by state. Our states can now require BRS to charge sales tax even though BRS does not have a physical presence in our respective states.

No expert on this but that is my understanding
 
There was a recent thread on this. The gist of it was it varies from state to state and it makes online vendors like BRS pay more to update the software they use to figure out if they need to add tax or not. I bought stuff last week with no added taxes. My state hasn't started charging yet I guess. Or I'm special :)
 
Oops, sorry, didn't realize this has already been discussed. Should have used the search function;)
 
Likely because of the Supreme Court decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair and subsequent decisions by most states to require online retailers to collect sales tax across the board regardless of whether the business has a physical presence. Where are you located?
 
Likely because of the Supreme Court decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair and subsequent decisions by most states to require online retailers to collect sales tax across the board regardless of whether the business has a physical presence. Where are you located?
I'm in Ohio. The other big online retailers aren't yet charging it (Marine Depot, Premium Aquatics, Aquarium Specialty). I guess it sounds like they will eventually follow suit as well.
 
I'm in Ohio. The other big online retailers aren't yet charging it (Marine Depot, Premium Aquatics, Aquarium Specialty). I guess it sounds like they will eventually follow suit as well.

Weird. As of December 2018, it doesn't look like the are required to collect sales tax in Ohio. You might want to contact them and make sure it wasn't a mistake. https://www.daily-jeff.com/news/20181217/ohio-not-collecting-all-online-sales-tax-at-least-not-yet

EDIT: Apparently Ohio is included: AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, NC, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI.
 
Last edited:
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new