• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

BRS now charges sales tax?

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else noticed that BRS is now charging sales tax? I hate to say it, but I can't justify buying from them anymore because of this. The best part of buying things online is not paying sales tax. I mean, I know technically you're supposed to report those sales when you file taxes, but who does that?

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else noticed that BRS is now charging sales tax? I hate to say it, but I can't justify buying from them anymore because of this. The best part of buying things online is not paying sales tax. I mean, I know technically you're supposed to report those sales when you file taxes, but who does that?
I do not believe that is BRS choice. You can thank the US government for giving the states the power to require them to

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a new rodi last week and I was charged any tax.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is around the 4th or 5th thread on this and they have been charging it for a few months now. Just another great move by the tax man to make sure he's getting his cut. And sale taxes or not BRS does have some of the best pricing on items out there. Just be thankful you dont get charged a 53% fee for your purchase like I get whenever I do order from them which is seldom for that reason. BUT they carry much more than most Canadian Online Vendors so we're kind of stuck in that regard.:p

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It all depends on whether or not your state of residence has enacted laws for online shopping. Some have, some haven't yet.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was that part of the recent tax reform?
From what I understand it's state by state. Our states can now require BRS to charge sales tax even though BRS does not have a physical presence in our respective states.

No expert on this but that is my understanding

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a recent thread on this. The gist of it was it varies from state to state and it makes online vendors like BRS pay more to update the software they use to figure out if they need to add tax or not. I bought stuff last week with no added taxes. My state hasn't started charging yet I guess. Or I'm special :)

OP
OP
hatfielj

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, sorry, didn't realize this has already been discussed. Should have used the search function;)

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely because of the Supreme Court decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair and subsequent decisions by most states to require online retailers to collect sales tax across the board regardless of whether the business has a physical presence. Where are you located?

OP
OP
hatfielj

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely because of the Supreme Court decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair and subsequent decisions by most states to require online retailers to collect sales tax across the board regardless of whether the business has a physical presence. Where are you located?
I'm in Ohio. The other big online retailers aren't yet charging it (Marine Depot, Premium Aquatics, Aquarium Specialty). I guess it sounds like they will eventually follow suit as well.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Ohio. The other big online retailers aren't yet charging it (Marine Depot, Premium Aquatics, Aquarium Specialty). I guess it sounds like they will eventually follow suit as well.

Weird. As of December 2018, it doesn't look like the are required to collect sales tax in Ohio. You might want to contact them and make sure it wasn't a mistake. https://www.daily-jeff.com/news/20181217/ohio-not-collecting-all-online-sales-tax-at-least-not-yet

EDIT: Apparently Ohio is included: AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, NC, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI.

Last edited:
Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back