brs Pharma Hybrid Balling Method question

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for all you do for the hobby Randy. Just out of curiosity, part C has some trace elements also right? If that’s the case what’s the fallacy in dosing Mg using Part C to dose the general level of trace elements?

The issue is that a trace element supplement doses based on some expectation of consumption rates, and is mostly focused on fast depletion ions such as iron and manganese, while Part C is essentially salt mix without sodium chloride. Thus it is mostly magnesium, sulfate, and other high concentration ions in seawater, regardless of whether they deplete by consumption or not.

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some companies like ATI and Triton would offer individual elements to complement their ICP analysis. Do you prefer that method of trace elements dosing, a generalized method like Balling C and Trace A and K like Tropic Marin…. Or somewhere in between?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some companies like ATI and Triton would offer individual elements to complement their ICP analysis. Do you prefer that method of trace elements dosing, a generalized method like Balling C and Trace A and K like Tropic Marin…. Or somewhere in between?

Balling Part C is not a trace element supplement and should not be used or thought of as one.

Tropic Marin trace are supplements and may be fine.

In a perfect world I’d use icp, but I’m not sure current icp offerings are accurate enough to rely solely on them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back