BRS Red Sea reefer 170.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a FTS as of this morning as well as some closeups of the E170...Sorry about the glare. This tank is definitely one of the up and coming tanks here at the office :) Jason is out until Monday, but I didn't forget about your questions on the other tank ;)

IMG_1167.JPG
IMG_1163.JPG
IMG_1164.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1166.JPG

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my sump set up. One small reactor for carbon. A larger reactor that I run bio media in. Converted the ATO into a algae scrubber. And eliminated the filter sock and made a media basket to replace it that I run floss in.

BA45CBAF-A439-4D43-9C66-1547304A2BA5.jpeg
B6B93D52-57A8-48AA-977D-4A93106B07E8.jpeg
E8908583-7DD0-45C7-B12D-B2AB1C1359C5.jpeg

DCynic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a FTS as of this morning as well as some closeups of the E170...Sorry about the glare. This tank is definitely one of the up and coming tanks here at the office :) Jason is out until Monday, but I didn't forget about your questions on the other tank ;)

IMG_1167.JPG
IMG_1163.JPG
IMG_1164.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1166.JPG

Hi I was recently watching this series and I was wondering about the mechanical filtration on this system. Ryan said that he doesnt use filter socks/floss on this tank, so is it just the skimmer and the carbon in the back? How does the detritus get removed from this tank? via the skimmer i assume?

And are the nitrates just managed by water changes ?

I have a very similar set up to this and just wondering how it works so efficiently as I am starting to try some SPS.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I was recently watching this series and I was wondering about the mechanical filtration on this system. Ryan said that he doesnt use filter socks/floss on this tank, so is it just the skimmer and the carbon in the back? How does the detritus get removed from this tank? via the skimmer i assume?

And are the nitrates just managed by water changes ?

I have a very similar set up to this and just wondering how it works so efficiently as I am starting to try some SPS.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head on all fronts. No mechanical filtration, just skimmer and a bag of media in the back like you said. Every once in a while, Josh will do a manual water change and siphon out any detritus as needed, but the flow in this particular tank seems to keep all of the detritus suspended.

I'd say that one of the biggest things that we do "differently" vs most of the reef tanks out there is that we utilize the KZ additives (not the full system). I'll include a list of the products we use on this tank. They all get dosed manually, so Monday through Friday.

-Sponge Power
-Amino Concentrate
-Coral Vitalizer
-Pohl's Xtra
-Flatworm Stop
-Coral Booster

DCynic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You pretty much hit the nail on the head on all fronts. No mechanical filtration, just skimmer and a bag of media in the back like you said. Every once in a while, Josh will do a manual water change and siphon out any detritus as needed, but the flow in this particular tank seems to keep all of the detritus suspended.

I'd say that one of the biggest things that we do "differently" vs most of the reef tanks out there is that we utilize the KZ additives (not the full system). I'll include a list of the products we use on this tank. They all get dosed manually, so Monday through Friday.

-Sponge Power
-Amino Concentrate
-Coral Vitalizer
-Pohl's Xtra
-Flatworm Stop
-Coral Booster

Thanks for the reply, this is great infomation for me.
Do you periodically clean out the back of the tank? I assume most of the gunk would build up on the media bag ? Or is this sucked out with the manual water change?
I run a skimmer, maxspect nano balls and a small pad of a filter floss in the back.
I am going to try remove my filter floss and see how I go.

I live in Australia and I cant find anywhere that supplies KZ additives.. only 1-2 of them. We do however have coral essentials down here and from what I can tell its a very similar system. I will do more research but it seems like alot of these KZ products are to do with amino's and trace elements? If so I should be able to use the coral essentials to produce a similar outcome.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, this is great infomation for me.
Do you periodically clean out the back of the tank? I assume most of the gunk would build up on the media bag ? Or is this sucked out with the manual water change?
I run a skimmer, maxspect nano balls and a small pad of a filter floss in the back.
I am going to try remove my filter floss and see how I go.

I live in Australia and I cant find anywhere that supplies KZ additives.. only 1-2 of them. We do however have coral essentials down here and from what I can tell its a very similar system. I will do more research but it seems like alot of these KZ products are to do with amino's and trace elements? If so I should be able to use the coral essentials to produce a similar outcome.

It's very rare that I see Josh do a manual water change, but when he does, 9 times out of 10, it's out of the main display area of the tank. You're absolutely right that a vast majority of the KZ products revolve around aminos or trace elements.

DCynic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very rare that I see Josh do a manual water change, but when he does, 9 times out of 10, it's out of the main display area of the tank. You're absolutely right that a vast majority of the KZ products revolve around aminos or trace elements.
I have another question about the E170..
What fish are in this system? I checked posts and watched videos but I didnt find an exact list of what fish were put in the system.

Just curious what "utilitarian" fish were put in.

Ricardo Carpinteiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setting up my 170 now and debating skimmer choice and lighting.

Hello,

For SPS, LPS i recommend at least AI Hydra 32 HD or Ecotech Radion XR 15 Pro. If you don't want SPS i think that AI Prime 16HD it's enough.

For the skimmer, if you can afford it Nyos Quantum 120 all the way. If you don't want to expend much money BubbleMagus Curve5 or G-5 are good choices.

Regards,

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question about the E170..
What fish are in this system? I checked posts and watched videos but I didnt find an exact list of what fish were put in the system.

Just curious what "utilitarian" fish were put in.

As far as utilitarian fish go, we've got an aiptasia eating file fish, kole tang, and gem tang. The gem tang is getting a bit large for a 60 cube, so we may have to look at moving him to a larger system soon. He was originally slated to go in the BRS160, but was getting picked on by some of the other fish. We've also got three striped blennies and a pair of orchid dottybacks.

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The E170 is a 45 gallon all in one tank from Red Sea. There really aren't too many changes that we've made to the stock setup other than adding some equipment to it. We're running a pair of Ice Cap gyre 3k pumps for flow. For lighting, we're using the Hydra 26 that came with the tank as well as the AquaticLife T5 hybrid fixture. We're running an auto water change on this system via the DOS. For dosing, we're using BRS two part. If there are any other details you're looking for, I'd be happy to share :)

Could you please provide an update on the E170 system that has achieved exceptional success? Many of us consider it the "benchmark" of excellence, and I wholeheartedly agree with this assessment. However, there appear to be some inconsistencies regarding the equipment used.

We heard conflicting information regarding the presence of filter floss/pad and a skimmer. In your most recent video, you mentioned the absence of filters and skimmers, with only an AWC set-up. It would be immensely helpful if you could dedicate a 15-minute review to this tank and its current state. As avid followers, many of us have attempted to replicate your model, and we are eager to gauge our tanks against the "gold standard."

In particular, I am keen to learn about the maintenance routine. My bare bottom tank isn't spotless, and I currently have two XF330 as per your recommendation. Should I keep or remove the UV? Additionally, without a skimmer, I would love to eliminate the filter pads on my Waterbox MP25 as it affects the water level for my ATO based on its dirtiness.

We hope you consider fulfilling this request, as it would greatly benefit your dedicated followers. Thank you!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, just checking people’s aquascapes and equipment setups. I’m in the process of setting up a 170 reefer.
This one has been up and running for maybe 4 or 5 years. Currently I have 2 nero 5 PH on the back wall (did have mp10s) and a Jebao Dcp 3500 return pump. I run a fuge with chaeto and rubble. I have never ran a skimmer on this system. I have a 5g ato container next to the tank and run a JBJ ato unit (discontinued) and a cheapo pump from Amazon.
EDIT two xr15 gen 4 for lighting
20230608_122237.jpg

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please provide an update on the E170 system that has achieved exceptional success? Many of us consider it the "benchmark" of excellence, and I wholeheartedly agree with this assessment. However, there appear to be some inconsistencies regarding the equipment used.

We heard conflicting information regarding the presence of filter floss/pad and a skimmer. In your most recent video, you mentioned the absence of filters and skimmers, with only an AWC set-up. It would be immensely helpful if you could dedicate a 15-minute review to this tank and its current state. As avid followers, many of us have attempted to replicate your model, and we are eager to gauge our tanks against the "gold standard."

In particular, I am keen to learn about the maintenance routine. My bare bottom tank isn't spotless, and I currently have two XF330 as per your recommendation. Should I keep or remove the UV? Additionally, without a skimmer, I would love to eliminate the filter pads on my Waterbox MP25 as it affects the water level for my ATO based on its dirtiness.

We hope you consider fulfilling this request, as it would greatly benefit your dedicated followers. Thank you!

The E170 was taken down last year when Ryan made the decision to move his dream tank into his office. This tank is no longer in operation at this time since the new 52 Weeks of Reefing is going to be taking up the whole BRS studio.

The E170 was initially ran with the standard E170 filtration (ie filter sock, media caddy, skimmer, etc.), however due to filter sock cleaning being a pain point, this was switched to just filter pads on top of the caddy and the skimmer. Automatic water changes were ran from the start and are what we believe to be a huge factor of success, as over time the filter pads were stopped and the skimmer was not doing much for skimmate as the tank matured and corals grew large. We didn't start off with just automatic water changes from day one, but did eventually get there with the tank hitting it's stride over time.

For your tank, the UV is something that may still be helpful if you have issues with dinos or fish parasites or find bacterial blooms common without running it. There are plenty of benefits of running it if you already have it. When we stopped mechanical filtration we did monitor closely how the tank reacted, so in this regard we would say to slowly wean off of it where you go a couple days with no filter pad. Just keep in mind that no filter pad means the back chambers do get dirtier faster. We would do monthly deep cleans of these back chambers to remove any settled detritus.

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The E170 was taken down last year when Ryan made the decision to move his dream tank into his office. This tank is no longer in operation at this time since the new 52 Weeks of Reefing is going to be taking up the whole BRS studio.

The E170 was initially ran with the standard E170 filtration (ie filter sock, media caddy, skimmer, etc.), however due to filter sock cleaning being a pain point, this was switched to just filter pads on top of the caddy and the skimmer. Automatic water changes were ran from the start and are what we believe to be a huge factor of success, as over time the filter pads were stopped and the skimmer was not doing much for skimmate as the tank matured and corals grew large. We didn't start off with just automatic water changes from day one, but did eventually get there with the tank hitting it's stride over time.

For your tank, the UV is something that may still be helpful if you have issues with dinos or fish parasites or find bacterial blooms common without running it. There are plenty of benefits of running it if you already have it. When we stopped mechanical filtration we did monitor closely how the tank reacted, so in this regard we would say to slowly wean off of it where you go a couple days with no filter pad. Just keep in mind that no filter pad means the back chambers do get dirtier faster. We would do monthly deep cleans of these back chambers to remove any settled detritus.
Thank you so much for the quick and thorough explanation. Very kind with your time.

I will take your sage advice to heart and thank you again!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back