BRS TV Investigates Trace Element idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I put these algae filters all in the same basket..........it's still useful info

You can get some algae from your scrubber tested on your own if you want.

The data is useful for macro algae filters since there are probably 10 fold more than the users of Algae scrubbers.

I'm just trying to pass on some helpful info into the thread.

Here's the full article.......what's also interesting is fish food also have plenty of trace elements and also some other useful tables.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my name, and prior conversations, are being brought up on this thread, let me see if I can add a little clarity to the discussion. Here are a few points of clarification:
1) The true Balling Part C is NOT meant to "make up" for ANY trace elements consumed during calcification. It is used to "offset" or "ionically balance" the NaCl that is left over, as a bi-product, after adding the Parts A & B. Technically, you are "adding" Mg and trace elements, to the system, with the Part C. But you are NOT supplementing for used Mg and trace elements with the Part C.
2) If a salt mixture (ANY salt mixture) contains NSL (natural sea water levels) of trace elements in it, and you do a 10% water change, then, on the one day you do the water change, you will "replenish" 10% of what has been depleted. If you do a 25% water change, then you will replenish 25% of what has been depleted, on that single day! This is math and chemistry, not supposition. The only way to make up for 100% of what is in depletion, with a salt mix that has NSL of trace elements, is to do a 100% water change. You can argue the point of whether it is necessary to replace 100% of the trace elements in depletion all day long. But you can't argue with the math/chemistry of the replacement numbers. This has nothing to do with "rate of usage". It is true for ANY depleted concentrations.
3) Now on a more Tropic Marin brand topic (sorry) ... When we talk about the 17 trace elements that get depleted in most reef systems. We are talking about the 17 trace elements that have been shown to go down in most, if not all, reef tanks. The depletion of these 17 traces is well documented in research. I apologize for not having that specific research reference right at hand. I will try to track it down and post it as soon as I have it. It is our approach that if we know that these 17 traces will definitely be depleted, it probably makes good sense to replenish a small amount of those 17.

I hope this post helps to clarify some of the points that seem less understood on these topics. If not, I am always available, in our office, for a phone conversation to explain about them in more detail. You can get our office phone number and hours on the US Tropic Marin website at this link:

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe i have seen an article of H.W.Balling with some data on most (if not all) of the depleted elements.
So You should have it in the company.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since my name, and prior conversations, are being brought up on this thread, let me see if I can add a little clarity to the discussion. Here are a few points of clarification:
1) The true Balling Part C is NOT meant to "make up" for ANY trace elements consumed during calcification. It is used to "offset" or "ionically balance" the NaCl that is left over, as a bi-product, after adding the Parts A & B. Technically, you are "adding" Mg and trace elements, to the system, with the Part C. But you are NOT supplementing for used Mg and trace elements with the Part C.
2) If a salt mixture (ANY salt mixture) contains NSL (natural sea water levels) of trace elements in it, and you do a 10% water change, then, on the one day you do the water change, you will "replenish" 10% of what has been depleted. If you do a 25% water change, then you will replenish 25% of what has been depleted, on that single day! This is math and chemistry, not supposition. The only way to make up for 100% of what is in depletion, with a salt mix that has NSL of trace elements, is to do a 100% water change. You can argue the point of whether it is necessary to replace 100% of the trace elements in depletion all day long. But you can't argue with the math/chemistry of the replacement numbers. This has nothing to do with "rate of usage". It is true for ANY depleted concentrations.
3) Now on a more Tropic Marin brand topic (sorry) ... When we talk about the 17 trace elements that get depleted in most reef systems. We are talking about the 17 trace elements that have been shown to go down in most, if not all, reef tanks. The depletion of these 17 traces is well documented in research. I apologize for not having that specific research reference right at hand. I will try to track it down and post it as soon as I have it. It is our approach that if we know that these 17 traces will definitely be depleted, it probably makes good sense to replenish a small amount of those 17.

I hope this post helps to clarify some of the points that seem less understood on these topics. If not, I am always available, in our office, for a phone conversation to explain about them in more detail. You can get our office phone number and hours on the US Tropic Marin website at this link:

I don't believe anyone is arguing the math on water changes.........it's more about depletion rates vs replenishment with water changes and fish/coral foods.

I believe this is the article you mention --click on chapter 15 for those interested

I'm not going to comment as I've read it many times over the years. I've also used one of your products connected with trace elements for 14 months.

I have talked to you briefly on trace element depletion a few years ago. I would like to discuss this more.............in a forum setting it's going read like a debate so I'm going take you up your phone call invitation in the near future.

OP
OP
rcpalmer1

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I am just dense. I don't understand how adding trace elements into my tank will not bring up my trace elements levels.

I did receive my icp test results. Out of all the elements they test I was only low in Iodine and Strontium. I was high in Mg. I was dose BRS two part with their Mg. The more it is discussed the better I understand. What I am getting is BRS two part is actually 3 parts. Alk, Ca, and Mg. The Balling has 3 parts also. A and B are Alk and Ca. C is Mg along with 70 other elements that BRS don't address. So all I am doing is using BRS Alk and Ca instead of part A and B. I need to stop using BRS Mg and use part C instead to get my Mg along with the other elements. I am going to stop both for a few days until my Mg comes down. Then I will continue with BRS Alk and Ca along with part C. I will continue checking results with ICP and refining my dosages.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back