BRS - what's up with Sicce Syncra ADV pumps?

I've had the ADV 7.0 running for about 2-3 months now. I LOVE IT! It is very powerful especially for 55w. It has WAY more push than the Reef Octo 4 I have.
 
As a single on a 120g? It should be fine. I have a 7.0 and a Octo 4 on a 150 both with RFG eductors. The Octo goes through a chiller and some turns though. I wish the Octo had more but two 7.0's are probably too much for my overflows.
TexasTodd, an Oregon transplant. Go Beavs.
 
I'm keenly interested in a Syncra ADV return pump for AC reliability, famed Syncra quietness and the low power use. But other than Sicce's brochure I can't find much info on them. Zero reviews from the community. The ADV 5.5 seems to be out of stock everywhere and Sicce hasn't replied to my email query. Is it a product that just didn't work out?

Thank you for asking this. I have been waiting on the 5.5 for months and have pretty much decided to go with the 7 instead. They look like great pumps that have gotten zero promotional push.
 
I'm keenly interested in a Syncra ADV return pump for AC reliability, famed Syncra quietness and the low power use. But other than Sicce's brochure I can't find much info on them. Zero reviews from the community. The ADV 5.5 seems to be out of stock everywhere and Sicce hasn't replied to my email query. Is it a product that just didn't work out?

You're right, there hasn't been much out there for reviews or comments since they first came on the scene earlier this year. I'll add this to the list of possible AskBRStv videos.

I'm thinking I could put one of these side by side to it's Sicce equivalent (Syncra Pro and HF 10.0) and test wattage draw and decibel output. :)
 
You're right, there hasn't been much out there for reviews or comments since they first came on the scene earlier this year. I'll add this to the list of possible AskBRStv videos.

I'm thinking I could put one of these side by side to it's Sicce equivalent (Syncra Pro and HF 10.0) and test wattage draw and decibel output. :)
Thanks!
 
Im really curious about sicces claim that the AC powered ADV pumps have near unity power factor. Should be impossible to achieve in a conventional reluctance motor pump. I'd love to see their claim verified and hear what sort of rotor drive tech they're using to achieve such a power factor compared to the typical 0.6 to 0.7 PF we see in similar pumps from theirs and other brands' submersible ac pump lines.
 
Im really curious about sicces claim that the AC powered ADV pumps have near unity power factor. Should be impossible to achieve in a conventional reluctance motor pump. I'd love to see their claim verified and hear what sort of rotor drive tech they're using to achieve such a power factor compared to the typical 0.6 to 0.7 PF we see in similar pumps from theirs and other brands' submersible ac pump lines.

^This.

As both an aquarist and a devout believer in physics, "near unity power factor" is up there with "reef safe ich medication".
 
Curious what they find. Can BRS measure the PF?

I'll put the Kill A Watt on my ADV 7.0 to see what it's using. If it's truly only using 55w I will say it's pumping more than any pump I've ever seen for the watts.

Just tested, reading 61.6. Still amazing power for that.
 
Im really curious about sicces claim that the AC powered ADV pumps have near unity power factor. Should be impossible to achieve in a conventional reluctance motor pump. I'd love to see their claim verified and hear what sort of rotor drive tech they're using to achieve such a power factor compared to the typical 0.6 to 0.7 PF we see in similar pumps from theirs and other brands' submersible ac pump lines.
Do you have a link for near unity PF they claim?
 
Curious what they find. Can BRS measure the PF?

I'll put the Kill A Watt on my ADV 7.0 to see what it's using. If it's truly only using 55w I will say it's pumping more than any pump I've ever seen for the watts.

Just tested, reading 61.6. Still amazing power for that.
What's the power factor??? Kill a watt reads that too... Im really curious to know just cause it seems like a weird thing for sicce to fib about for 'marketing'. I mean I don't expect many buyers are cross shopping ac pumps based on power factor lol.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new