BRS - what's up with Sicce Syncra ADV pumps?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a comparison, my Waveline DC-6000 claims specs of:
  • Wattage: 48 watts at full speed (measured after adapter) 55 watts including adaptor.
  • Water Flow Rate: 6,000 Liters Max (1585 GPH)
I run it at 64% via Apex. Just now I shut off everything else on that EB8 and power draw went down to a displayed 0.1A. Can anyone estimate the wattage?
I wish I could, but it's tough to say. I mean being a DC pump with a power supply it should have a near unity power factor going through the power brick transformer from the EB8 but there's no way to know how much of that power is actually hitting the pump from a raw amp reading of 0.1. Amps times volts would equal watts so 0.1 x 120v would assume about 12 watts but again there's not much way to quantify how accurate that is. Would need a specific instrument to measure it's true wattage. For example on an AC pump like the Fluval SP series I commonly run, I mights see 1.5amps of draw, but in actuality only radiate 70 watts due to it's very low power factor of 0.4 to 0.7 depending on the application it's put into.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you take any measurements?

ksed, do you know my Wife? :) Thanks for the reminder.

Dang, from what you all explained this is pretty impressive....... .97!

As mentioned, I've had aquariums for a really long time, and, I've never seen a pump rated 55w (or 60) push anywhere near what this does.

Todd

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ksed, do you know my Wife? :) Thanks for the reminder.

Dang, from what you all explained this is pretty impressive....... .97!

As mentioned, I've had aquariums for a really long time, and, I've never seen a pump rated 55w (or 60) push anywhere near what this does.

Todd
Impressive!!!

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Don, It's pretty quiet. Not silent. I think it's lower than my Reef Octo 4 by a fair bit. I'm really impressed with it.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed, now I've got to do some more research on the type of electronic drive tech they are using to spin the rotor.

Care to walk back that statement in light of the data ;)
Absolutely
But being 100% silent is a long shot

Last edited:

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know how critical is it in having a near unity power factor? From my understanding it becomes a factor under high loads, but not necessarily all that critical in smaller pumps .
Also I hope they are quiter than the SDC . There have been reports of them being noisy.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know how critical is it in having a near unity power factor? From my understanding it becomes a factor under high loads, but not necessarily all that critical in smaller pumps .
Also I hope they are quiter than the SDC . There have been reports of them being noisy.

I agree, no such thing as 100 percent silent.

Now when it comes to the importance if power factor in small household voltage pumps... it's not.

I mean it's only really a factor if your utility charges you based on VA rather than on your wattage usage. A commercial customer would be charged accordingly for using low power factor motors as it requires the utility to deliver higher amperage for the same wattage as a near unity power factor motor.

I just think its cool that sicce has done it, as any other wet rotor AC plug pump I've come across thus far has a necessarily low power factor inherent to its reluctance motor design. Induction motors like those in Reeflos, iwakis, panworlds, etc have near unity power factor.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, no such thing as 100 percent silent.

Now when it comes to the importance if power factor in small household voltage pumps... it's not.

I mean it's only really a factor if your utility charges you based on VA rather than on your wattage usage. A commercial customer would be charged accordingly for using low power factor motors as it requires the utility to deliver higher amperage for the same wattage as a near unity power factor motor.

I just think its cool that sicce has done it, as any other wet rotor AC plug pump I've come across thus far has a necessarily low power factor inherent to its reluctance motor design. Induction motors like those in Reeflos, iwakis, panworlds, etc have near unity power factor.

Agreed, PF’s a non-issue for residential applications. Induction motors don’t approach unity power factor though. Permanent magnet motors are better across the whole curve, and get close to unity but still a ways away. I think this might be a DOL PMM or brushless DC (more or less the same thing), but I can’t figure how they could do so with those price points and still maintain any margin.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, PF’s a non-issue for residential applications. Induction motors don’t approach unity power factor though. Permanent magnet motors are better across the whole curve, and get close to unity but still a ways away. I think this might be a DOL PMM or brushless DC (more or less the same thing), but I can’t figure how they could do so with those price points and still maintain any margin.
I should clarify, that I meant induction motor's 0.85 to 0.9 or so to the wet rotor reluctance motor's 0.6. And especially the single phase PSC units in the pan worlds and japanese iwakis- I get .92 to .97 on those surprisingly.

Yeah idk why sicce would go to the trouble of building a brushless/permanent magnet unit and then put a cheap driver in the motor block and stick a 120v cord on it. Considering the price point, as you astutely noted. Still trying to wrap my head around the nature and logic for that matter of the ADV line.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 7.0 seems to be the sweet spot for watts vs flow. Only 400gph more flow than the 5.5 to make the jump. You could put a valve in.
Don_chuwish, is your tank a single corner overflow? I have dual corners and it handles the 7.0 and a Octo 4 without any problems.

Back