BRS - what's up with Sicce Syncra ADV pumps?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of what has been discussed about the similarities and differences between the ADV and SDC pumps is over my head but it sounds like the concensus is it's basically the same pump but the SDC is controllable and the ADV is a constant speed. I've been reviewing the pump curves of these pumps as I'm looking for one that can do 350 gph at 15 ft. and it seems the SDC can do that but the ADV can't (model 9.0). Why would that be?

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although they appear to be the same pump externally, they cannot be the same. I suspect the impeller and possibly the rotating speeds are different (I.e. the speed of the ADV is not the same as the max speed of the SDV). Max head is determined largely by the impeller tip speed which is the impeller diameter times the speed.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to bring this part of the thread about the SDC and ADV pumps being similar to a conclusion. I was able to talk to the Sicce rep at MACNA and he confirmed that they are absolutely identical. The only difference is that the SDC is capable of receiving an external control signal and the ADV is not.

So... I had to ask why they call one of them AC and one of them DC. The honesty was refreshing even if the answer didn't surprise me. They call the SDC a DC pump because it has controllable speed. They call the ADV an AC pump because it is constant speed. They chose to do this because the aquarium industry equates DC to controllable even if it isn't an actual DC pump

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to say a guy named Brew had made certain points about that before, and then I looked at who posted! Glad we got it from the source! Thanks for the great info.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I have had the ADV 9.0 powering my Reefer 450 for the past year and it's been running flawlessly. Love it so much that I bought a second as a spare/backup. It's a great pump that doesn't get enough attention!
I'm a big fan of Sicce. Their quality is very good and their customer service is even better. I had a rotor fail on a Pro 1500 and had a replacement within 3 days. Very easy online process.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to bring this part of the thread about the SDC and ADV pumps being similar to a conclusion. I was able to talk to the Sicce rep at MACNA and he confirmed that they are absolutely identical. The only difference is that the SDC is capable of receiving an external control signal and the ADV is not.

So... I had to ask why they call one of them AC and one of them DC. The honesty was refreshing even if the answer didn't surprise me. They call the SDC a DC pump because it has controllable speed. They call the ADV an AC pump because it is constant speed. They chose to do this because the aquarium industry equates DC to controllable even if it isn't an actual DC pump

Thanks, Brew. Very interesting.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump to a thread that could be a game changer. Anybody set up a 10.0 ADV or SDC - with 15 feet head pressure. My hammerhead just but the dust so looking for a new pump that can push 1200-1500 gph with 15 feet if head pressure = 10 feet verical from basement sump to top of display, then a Y splitter to edge of 150 gallon display, then curved 90's to end in back two corners of display tank.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it's on the list for potential videos. The reality is that these take multiple days to write, shoot and produce so as much as I really wish I could keep up with each idea coming in it's just not a feasible pace. I do plan to get to this in the future, but I can't promise an exact timeline of when that will be. :)
It’s been 1year and a half. Will BRS make this happen?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back