BRS YouTube going down hill?

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all, what do y’all think of BRS sudden switch to a more corporate and ad like channel. I’m kinda disappointed in this as I really enjoyed their longer more informative videos. I remember Ryan talking about how I they don’t want to sell you products that they don’t believe in. Now it feels as though they don’t actually care about that product they are advertising rather than make meaningful videos on specific aspects of reefing and how to accomplish them. It’s kinda sad to see this switch and wanted to hear y’all’s opinions. I learned reefing from their channel and it now seems that for now at least they have switched out of that model.

christopher.lauwers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What's to say that they don't believe in the products they are featuring in the videos? I for one don't mind them... I enjoy the little demo of the product to see if that something I would want to buy.

If you don't support it then don't watch. This will give them feedback on what's not working ;)

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have to evolve with the times. I honestly think that up to this point that have been very open and honest. And time will tell if they continue to do so. In one of the last videos they talked about a program where other youtubers having some kind of association with brs and that they’re viewers will be able to get discounts. I think as long as they stick to they’re values and think of what benefits us the customer then this could lead to more information available to us and at the end of the day more content. I don’t really watch that much you tube but have pretty much exhausted all the content I’m willing to watch. I think it would be great to have more to choose from. BRS don’t let us down!

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn’t what you were exactly talking about.. bbbuuuttt lol. I think YouTube is killing it.

“YouTube users watch one billion hours of video per day while Netflix viewers tune in for 400 million hours”

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are clearly moving in a more infomercial direction and promoting themselves. Sad that they have all those resources and arent focusing on ways for beginners to have more success.

I'm waiting for Thomas to start pushing their own brand of under gravel filters.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn’t what you were exactly talking about.. bbbuuuttt lol. I think YouTube is killing it.

“YouTube users watch one billion hours of video per day while Netflix viewers tune in for 400 million hours”

To be fair, YouTube is free. Netflix requires a paid subscription. And I have videos on YouTube but none on Netflix :p

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The YouTube Live is KILLING ME!!!! I don't want to watch 1.5 hours of slow content, I would rather you put your thoughts into a 20 min video to cover the important topics. The worst part is that many of these are on really great topics like coral nutrition and other things I'd otherwise be super interested in. BRS isn't the only one doing this, but they are one of them.

Otherwise I've gotten a ton of great information from them! I love the studies they've done, and I think they've added allot of great information to the hobby. The Refugium studies that they did alone were fantastic! Plus the lighting spread videos with LED's are awesome too.

Whiskey

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the channel has gone "down hill" per say, but has definitely shifted directions.

Thomas and Jen (I think that's her name) are making more "sales pitch" type videos highlighting the features and benefits of items. And if I'm honest, some of the videos are super informative. I watched Thomas' video on the "in out, overflow" the one from Two Little Fishies, and I would have never known the return has the capability to create a wave action without any extra plumbing. The videos also help with actually seeing the items, and parts/accessories that come with it. I'm in sales, so it's pretty easy to tune out the sales pitch parts and get the info I need.

Ryan and Randy seem to more focused on the long format videos and youtube live programming. I do like the live format, but it gets repetitive. If there is an actually question raised, and not a clear answer, Ryan almost always pivots to the "I dunno, we'll see". It seems like every youtube channel now is doing "live" podcasts type format, and the same questions get asked to the same people over and over. All the major voices have what they're going to say pretty much memorized for when they get asked questions.

I think the 52 weeks of reefing series was so popular because it clearly defined what they were doing, why they were doing it, and HOW they were doing it. I would like to see so more videos like these.

I would like to see someone actually ask either BRS or Manufacturers the actual hard questions.
1) Why are the major light companies all priced around the same? MAP pricing doesn't help the consumer at all
2) If neptune and reefbrite are premium brands, why is there hot glue (both companies) and wire nuts (reefbrite) used inside their products?
3) Get someone from Kessil to answer why when I buy a $750 dollar light do I need to buy an additional $100 controller or wifi dongle?
4) Did ecotech change the type of plastic used on the vortechs? People were cleaning pumps with vinegar for years, but now there seems to be a even more instances of magnets swelling and contaminating tanks

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan's gotta pay for all that coral in his new tank dude!!!! :D
hahaha yeah man!

I don't think he meant to do it, but he dropped the number of how much he spent on coral twice in the last live stream. Spending $10k on coral is awesome, but I don't want to hear about it. I think he meant in a "oh man, I can't believe I just did that" kind of way.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the people be heard!
@Bulk Reef Supply
Thanks for tagging us, I'd be happy to jump into the conversation! The product spotlight videos are a main focus for Thomas and Jen right now, as many of you have already pointed out. There are a few things that we've done regarding these videos, so hear us out.

Our main goal behind these product spotlight videos is to have a spotlight on every product we sell. The intention behind that is that if you're interested in, for example, the Python water change system, you can find a video all about it on our website on that specific product page. You'll be able to learn about what it does before you purchase. YouTube happens to be a great hosting platform for those videos.

We've turned off YouTube subscriber notifications for product spotlight videos so that you're not inundated with a ton of these videos every week. If you like Thomas' funny antics like we do, you'll probably seek them out anyway :)

Not to worry though, the BRStv Investigates videos that you've all come to know and love will still be a BRStv fixture for Ryan and Randy in addition to our weekly Thursday live stream. We don't always have something to test, so hopefully you're all finding the mistakes and other Ryan and Randy video series helpful too!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've turned off YouTube subscriber notifications for product spotlight videos so that you're not inundated with a ton of these videos every week. If you like Thomas' funny antics like we do, you'll probably seek them out anyway :)
This is a good thing and I assume was fairly recent change because I was getting notifications for these and quickly unsubscribed.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what I really reeeaaaly miss?

The Thomas reacts videos. That is literally what turned me onto BRS and why I started buying from them. Kinda sucks that he not doing those anymore.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back