BRStv suggestion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mindwalkr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<3 BRStv....

Have you thought of doing testing of skimmer and pumps with a decibel meter ? I think this is something a lot of people would use in their product decisions!

It would be awesome if you could also report the test setup accurately. That way other people can duplicate the testbase for any skimmers you don't sell. You could even do it in a closed environment with a known amount of pollutants and produce a chart of %removed vs noise for different models/etc.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<3 BRStv....

Have you thought of doing testing of skimmer and pumps with a decibel meter ? I think this is something a lot of people would use in their product decisions!

It would be awesome if you could also report the test setup accurately. That way other people can duplicate the testbase for any skimmers you don't sell. You could even do it in a closed environment with a known amount of pollutants and produce a chart of %removed vs noise for different models/etc.

Thanks for bringing this up. I think this would be a great fit in the BRStv Spotlights where I also provide dimensions for each product. I'll see if I can get it in some of the next ones. :)

OP
OP
mindwalkr

mindwalkr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for bringing this up. I think this would be a great fit in the BRStv Spotlights where I also provide dimensions for each product. I'll see if I can get it in some of the next ones. :)

Hah.... as someone who is doing a 3D model of sump and all plumbing prior to making it.... I really want a 3D scan (just a tessellated outer surface volume) of EVERY part I am going to buy. Telling me a skimmer is 10" x 8" x 20 high does not tell me where the connections are.

I can download 3D models of all piping, fittings, 8020 parts, hinges, etc..... but I cannot get a model of the pump, controller, addon boxes and power supplies, reactors, skimmer, UV unit, etc, etc..... Even the manufacturer's websites are sometimes annoyingly low on details. Half of them have LESS info than companies like BRS!

So any sort of detailed dimensions would be VERY welcome! Can we add that to the list please ? :)

Last edited:

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah.... as someone who is doing a 3D model of sump and all plumbing prior to making it.... I really want a 3D scan (just a tessellated outer surface volume) of EVERY part I am going to buy. Telling me a skimmer is 10" x 8" x 20 high does not tell me where the connections are.
I can download 3D models of all piping, fittings, 8020 parts, hinges, etc..... but I cannot get a model of the pump, controller, addon boxes and power supplies, reactors, skimmer, UV unit, etc, etc..... Even the manufacturer's websites are sometimes annoyingly low on details. Half of them have LESS info than companies like BRS!
So any sort of detailed dimensions would be VERY welcome! Can we add that to the list please ? :)

Phew, that's a pretty tall order. I'd foresee it entailing an entire new job position which might be a tough sell, but I'll definitely make a note of it. Again, this is great feedback as I can keep this level of detail in mind when making future Spotlights where someone may benefit from even more detailed measurements outside of basic outer dimensions.

P.S.- Just took decibel readings for the next episode I'm working on! ;)

OP
OP
mindwalkr

mindwalkr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew, that's a pretty tall order. I'd foresee it entailing an entire new job position...

It is actually as complex or as easy as you make it. Since we don't need a full CAD model of the whole device, but only the outer volume, we can approximate the outside with triangles (tessellation). This can be done with photogrammetry. Just a fancy way of saying: "we took a bunch of photos from different angles, and the computer made 3D geometry from them".

There is a bunch of software that does this. Some of it is free too. Mostly it is designed and used to go from real object -> 3D model -> 3D print of object.

Of course, since use a LOT of clear acrylic in this hobby, you might need to cover those pieces with painter's tape to get it to work ok :)

I can imagine a scenario in which 3D models are provided for a bunch of reefing equipment on a free online tool like SketchUp. Next thing you know there are standardized (really just community provided 'best in class') sump and piping designs provided by end users to end users.... for each common tank size..... and for each common water processing method (Zeovit/Triton/GFO+Carbon/etc

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
<3 BRStv....

I really think rating pumps for how quiet or loud they are would be a excellent topic.
That's always a hot topic.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back