Brundells 125 reef build.

brundell88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So before this I had a 55 gallon tank that I somehow had running successfully with a hang on filter and no skimmer. This time around I am going with 2 hang on filters and will be adding a skimmer in a few weeks.

As of right now I have had the 125 setup since last sunday 11/22 and everything is doing very well. I have moved about 35 lbs of live rock and about 30 lbs of live sand from the old tank. Also I put about 30 gallons worth of water out of the established tank to get things off to a good start.

For filtration I have a hang on filter rated for about 75 gallons and a bio wheel 400 with carbon inserts and bioballs. (not running the actual bio wheels.)

For lights I am running kind of a ghetto setup temporarily until I get the money around for a 72 inch quad t5 setup or 72" led. The current setup consists of 2 36" dual t5 fixtures that are side by side and a 48" dual t5 centered behind those.

For livestock I have a 2.5" eibli angelfish, 3.5" Vlamingii Tang, 3 green chromis , Coral banded shrimp and a few snails. And for coral all I have is a small frog spawn frag and a rock with some zoas and what looks to be some kind of acan lps.

Hope to have some followers on this build as I will be trying to add things as often as possible.
Also sorry for the crappy quality on the pictures. I got stuck taking them with my iphone.

NHreefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to a good start. Are you gonna be putting in more rock?

OP
OP
brundell88

brundell88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I plan on adding a bunch more base rock on the right side in the corner. Probably about another 40 lbs or so. I want to keep a decent amount of swimming room in there for the tang. I realize I won't be able to keep him in this tank forever. Hopefully I will have a bigger tank once I buy a house and can keep him around.

NHreefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! All these new tanks coming up makes me want to go bigger. I can only do so much in my 20..

NHreefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My conditions for the most part are great. I just don't top off as much as I should. Salinity creeps a bit

OP
OP
brundell88

brundell88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having some trouble getting my eibli angelfish to eat flakes or brine shrimp. I have noticed him grazing on the rocks alot, could he be getting full enough off algae that he's not interested in anything else?

OP
OP
brundell88

brundell88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a couple new additions to the tank . A tiny ocellaris clown and a medium sized blood orange misbar clown. I got lucky and they settled right into the tank without getting picked on by the tang or angel.

OP
OP
brundell88

brundell88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a recent progress pic of the tank since it's been up for a couple months. Everything's looking good. Have some good coraline algae growth and I finally got a fluval fx6 last night. Up til this point I have gone without a skimmer ( Which I will most likely continue to do) and have been using a bio wheel hang on back filter.

Vlamingii tang ( Roughly 3")

OP
OP
brundell88

brundell88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also does anybody know what these are? They just appeared on my liverock a couple months ago and started growing.

2016-02-15%2014.03.04_zpsokewq5ok.jpg
[/URL]

OP
OP
brundell88

brundell88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just posting up a couple new frags I got the other day. Sorry for the pic quality. I only have my cell phone cam at the moment.

These are some zoas I got. The guy at the fish store had no idea what kind they were. All he could tell me is they were from reefgen. Anybody who knows what kind they are feel free to chime in!

And I also got this single bright green candy cane polyp. Hoping that this will take off and start growing soon.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back