Brunneus Wrasse - Scales sticking out?

FishieFlashdrive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I got a brunneus Wrasse a few days ago. He's now got some pinecone-y looking scales in his side and some swelling. Any idea what this is or how I treat it?

I paid extra to have him quarantined by my local store, because I don't have a great set-up for quarantine. When he came home, he acclimated well and is eating like normal.

Param:
0 amonnia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate
Salinity 35ppm
Ph is a bit low at 8.1.

I've been fighting a cyano outbreak after an anemone nuked my tank 3 months ago. Not currently dosing anything, just trying to be consistent on water changes to let the bacteria rebuild.

Photos and video posted below!

OP
OP
FishieFlashdrive

FishieFlashdrive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See photos and video.

20221113_115434.jpg 20221113_115428.jpg

Attachments

• 20221113_114506.mp4
    22.9 MB
Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I thought "dropsy" - but I just wrote in another post that marine fish don't get dropsy. However, in watching the video, the disrupted scales are just on one side and dropsy is always on both sides of the fish, symmetrically...so, marine fish don't get dropsy is still a valid statement (grin).

So - what is this? Tough to say at this point - either a bacterial or Uronema lesion, or both at the same time. The fact that the fish is still feeding is a good sign, and points away from Uronema (not treatment for that).

You may not find the treatment feasible; moving the fish to a treatment tank and lowering the salinity (to help with osmotic imbalance due to the skin issue) and then dosing with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex. Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 at the same time would also be an option.

Jay

OP
OP
FishieFlashdrive

FishieFlashdrive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I thought "dropsy" - but I just wrote in another post that marine fish don't get dropsy. However, in watching the video, the disrupted scales are just on one side and dropsy is always on both sides of the fish, symmetrically...so, marine fish don't get dropsy is still a valid statement (grin).

So - what is this? Tough to say at this point - either a bacterial or Uronema lesion, or both at the same time. The fact that the fish is still feeding is a good sign, and points away from Uronema (not treatment for that).

You may not find the treatment feasible; moving the fish to a treatment tank and lowering the salinity (to help with osmotic imbalance due to the skin issue) and then dosing with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex. Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 at the same time would also be an option.

Jay
This was very helpful! My first thought was dropsy too but marine fish just don't get it. I'm going to do some brainstorming and see if I can get a hospital tank set up. Thank you!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back