Yellow Coris Wrasse - Sudden Death

tifa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

Woke up this morning to find my juvenile Yellow Coris Wrasse dead. No photos as the CUC didn't leave much behind. Two days ago, I noticed very faint white patches on her side (only visible under blue light), similar to the below threads:

I thought it might be from diving into the sand at night to sleep. Can't tell if it was an injury as I've never seen her get spooked. She seemed perfectly healthy, eating (fed 2-3x per day) and hunting pods all day. No flashing, yawning, or any sort lethargy. I considered the possibility of flukes, but with no symptoms, I didn't want to perform a FW dip unless necessary. Should I have done a FW dip? Pretty bummed to lose this fish as it was one of my favorites. I have a pair of clowns in the tank who show no signs of any sickness (no patches). Moving forward, what should I do? I quarantine/observe anything wet going into in my tank and alternate between feeding frozen and pellet, soaking in selcon every few days. I have a QT tank available and can dose Prazipro but don't want to stress the remaining fish any more than I have to. Any advice is much appreciated.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics/videos of the fish in question when alive? How long have you had it?
If I’m not mistaken, these guys are prone to uronema, which could certainly kill it in a matter of days.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of Yellow Coris Wrasse and one of them suddenly died after about 1.5 years. DIdn't notice any spots. Did notice it being very lethargic a few days before he died (was the male). Great fish. They do eat almost any snail or hermit that i put into the 200g mixed reef tank though. Had to switch to urchins for hair algae control.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of Yellow Coris Wrasse and one of them suddenly died after about 1.5 years. DIdn't notice any spots. Did notice it being very lethargic a few days before he died (was the male). Great fish. They do eat almost any snail or hermit that i put into the 200g mixed reef tank though. Had to switch to urchins for hair algae control.
Strange, my yellow coris that I had for over 2 years never touched a single invert.

OP
OP
T

tifa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics/videos of the fish in question when alive? How long have you had it?
If I’m not mistaken, these guys are prone to uronema, which could certainly kill it in a matter of days.
Photos aren't great, sorry. First one is from a couple weeks ago, second is from three days ago and is super blurry but shows she was eating well. She was pretty small, barely two inches. Had her for roughly half a year. I've never dealt with uronema (and hope I never have to) but didn't see any sores.

Attachments

• IMG_3489.jpg
    IMG_3489.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3490.jpg
    IMG_3490.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 45

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish getting aggressive with it? Changes to the tank?
Pic doesn’t show much, but I don’t see any red sores you would see with uro (though those don’t typically pop up till late).

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange, my yellow coris that I had for over 2 years never touched a single invert.
I see mine knocking snails them over and assume they are eating them. I also have a flame hawkfish - who definitely is very aggressive to inverts so same result either way

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos aren't great, sorry. First one is from a couple weeks ago, second is from three days ago and is super blurry but shows she was eating well. She was pretty small, barely two inches. Had her for roughly half a year. I've never dealt with uronema (and hope I never have to) but didn't see any sores.

While I can't tell you what happened to your wrasse, it most likely was not Uronema - you would have seen red lesions, and Uronema is really rare in fish that have been in captivity for that length of time.

Jay

OP
OP
T

tifa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish getting aggressive with it? Changes to the tank?
Pic doesn’t show much, but I don’t see any red sores you would see with uro (though those don’t typically pop up till late).
Wrasse was a model citizen and got along with the clowns, no bullying on either end. Added a QT'd coral a bit ago but that's all.

OP
OP
T

tifa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can't tell you what happened to your wrasse, it most likely was not Uronema - you would have seen red lesions, and Uronema is really rare in fish that have been in captivity for that length of time.

Jay
Do you think flukes/parasites are a possibility? And if so, should I dose Prazipro or wait and continue to monitor the other fish? I'm hoping this was an isolated incident, I read your thread on UNWD and am wondering if it was something like that, but want to make sure my other fish stay healthy.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think flukes/parasites are a possibility? And if so, should I dose Prazipro or wait and continue to monitor the other fish? I'm hoping this was an isolated incident, I read your thread on UNWD and am wondering if it was something like that, but want to make sure my other fish stay healthy.

I don't think this is UNWD disease.

Is the wrasse scratching/flashing at all? If it is, yes, you might want to treat with prazi for flukes. If not, I'd wait for other symptoms to develop.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hawks and anthias and some wrasses do not blend well but without any signs of loss of appetite, heavy breathing, aggressions as examples- will be hard to pinpoint cause

OP
OP
T

tifa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this is UNWD disease.

Is the wrasse scratching/flashing at all? If it is, yes, you might want to treat with prazi for flukes. If not, I'd wait for other symptoms to develop.

Jay
Wrasse was the one that had passed, still trying to figure out why. Noticed today that my clownfish are breathing a bit fast (90-100 bpm) and twitching more than usual for the pair. I don't think I've ever seen the female twitch until today. Did a WC yesterday after the wrasse death so no ammonia spike. Still no visible signs of anything that I can see, but I've attached photos just in case. Female is the first photo, male is the latter three. Male has also always had that "dent" in his band. Both ate this morning, are not averse to light and haven't flashed. I've never dealt with flukes before nor have had a fish die so suddenly, but am hoping I can prevent any future loss.

Attachments

• IMG_3518.jpg
    IMG_3518.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3517.jpg
    IMG_3517.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3519.jpg
    IMG_3519.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3520.jpg
    IMG_3520.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
T

tifa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawks and anthias and some wrasses do not blend well but without any signs of loss of appetite, heavy breathing, aggressions as examples- will be hard to pinpoint cause
Is is possible the white patches (linked in post) had anything to do with the death?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse was the one that had passed, still trying to figure out why. Noticed today that my clownfish are breathing a bit fast (90-100 bpm) and twitching more than usual for the pair. I don't think I've ever seen the female twitch until today. Did a WC yesterday after the wrasse death so no ammonia spike. Still no visible signs of anything that I can see, but I've attached photos just in case. Female is the first photo, male is the latter three. Male has also always had that "dent" in his band. Both ate this morning, are not averse to light and haven't flashed. I've never dealt with flukes before nor have had a fish die so suddenly, but am hoping I can prevent any future loss.
I don’t see anything alarming in the photos, can you post a video?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is is possible the white patches (linked in post) had anything to do with the death?
I too see nothing but could be post- death

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back