Brute and phosphate issues

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I started the thread about members in northern middle TN and southern middle KY. Not that I feel it is unfair in any way, just would be easier to have a get together where I didn't have to drive 1.5 hours away.

Back in the day, our December meetings were joint meetings held around Clarksville with the NTRC members. I think that club died out and so did the joint meetings.

Brandon

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I started the thread about members in northern middle TN and southern middle KY. Not that I feel it is unfair in any way, just would be easier to have a get together where I didn't have to drive 1.5 hours away.

I'm curious how other regions of the U.S. handle this. Clubs by county? Clubs by mileage from a certain point??? I'm new to reef clubs so I have no idea but I know I've heard of car clubs for instance that are just for residents of certain counties to join. The car clubs from the surrounding areas, other counties, would all meet twice per year as a "whole club" but monthly would stick to the club within their county. Just a thought!

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day, our December meetings were joint meetings held around Clarksville with the NTRC members. I think that club died out and so did the joint meetings.

Brandon

What is NTRC? Northern Tennessee Reef Club?

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is NTRC? Northern Tennessee Reef Club?

I would say so. I doubt there is enough people to have clubs by counties but a Northern Middle/Southern Middle KY club would be OK with me if we had enough people. I mean with Fishy Business in Bowling Green selling fish and corals there has to be some reefers around there. The KY forum on here is dead.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill i feel your frustration.... i've been needing to check the par with the hybrid fixture i made last year.. but never did because of the demand.. but thats not because we dont have enough par meters.
Unfortunately with having lives and families we just dont have the man power to ensure borrowing terms/rules are met.. it would be great if we can, may be we need another BOD member that the keeper of equipment so they can ensure that rules and terms of use are followed..

wasnt it your idea to have one in Smyrna?
Never said all of them!!! Driving 50+ miles one way and more for some members is just not an option with gas 3.00+ a gal. And waiting months on top of it is BS
Bill

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never said all of them!!! Driving 50+ miles one way and more for some members is just not an option with gas 3.00+ a gal. And waiting months on top of it is BS
Bill

no one else took on the responsibility to do it Bill. do you want to be the keeper of the other one? the other BOD members are in the same geographical location, plus we need someone that's very active in the club...

I've seen you like this before Bill something/someone has earked you and you're on a tear.. i'm sorry for what happened but last time this was occurring the entire club got a black eye..

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sold that I took an accurate reading last night as one week ago I measured the P04 in my mixed saltwater that I was going to use for a WC and it was at 0.00. How can my holding tank be 0.06 but my WC container be 0.00 when the water comes from the holding tank(Brute) to the mixing tub???

+1

Brute cans (grey) are LDPE and not sure why we think there would be phosphates in it to begin with. :)

Further, I dunno what you guys know about big companies making specific product claims*, but they specifically state in their literature that it's unaffected by DI water.

Last note is to consider the accuracy and precision of the test gear in question. There are always a range of values equivalent to a zero reading.

-Matt

* Company-lawyers hate specific claims as they give people-lawyers potential grounds to sue.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no one else took on the responsibility to do it Bill. do you want to be the keeper of the other one? the other BOD members are in the same geographical location, plus we need someone that's very active in the club...

I've seen you like this before Bill something/someone has earked you and you're on a tear.. i'm sorry for what happened but last time this was occurring the entire club got a black eye..

Not to hijack more on this but I do agree with bill some how the club is specific to a certain area I remember most member were acting up about driving to far when they were gonna host a club meeting in pet palace in Clarksville and some how it ended up not happening I been meaning to talk about this for a while hell I remember we borrow the par meter me and will and only had it for like 4 days before people were acting up about it but I do see the par meter staying in a few places for way longer maybe cause is In the area I don't know. We'll anyhow Kevan it is kind off hard for people that don't live close to the club meetings to be active on meetings hell i think some if us that are not active in the meetings are the most active on the club forum.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, this has always been an issue. It used to be that most of the club was in Murfreesboro (myself and Lindsey included, amongst many others at that time) and had many meetings there. There were complaints then, as there are now. There's actually not an easy solution.

The issue is that people who live on the outskirts don't want to drive all the way in. Makes perfect sense to me. But the inverse is also true. The people who are closer to Nashville don't want to drive out for a meeting, either. Its a two way street, for sure, and I don't think either side is more right or wrong than the other.

Perhaps you guys up north can get NTRC going again and we can have joint meetings from time to time? And please don't misunderstand me... I'm not wanting to divide the group or anything like that, but NTRC existed in the past for a reason (I believe the geographical reason that is causing so many hurt feelings at the moment), and could certainly exist again. I believe there's enough distance that it makes sense to have separate clubs. Having more than one club in the same geographical region, however, doesn't make as much sense to me. The joint December meetings were always a blast.

Brandon

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, this has always been an issue. It used to be that most of the club was in Murfreesboro (myself and Lindsey included, amongst many others at that time) and had many meetings there. There were complaints then, as there are now. There's actually not an easy solution.

The issue is that people who live on the outskirts don't want to drive all the way in. Makes perfect sense to me. But the inverse is also true. The people who are closer to Nashville don't want to drive out for a meeting, either. Its a two way street, for sure, and I don't think either side is more right or wrong than the other.

Perhaps you guys up north can get NTRC going again and we can have joint meetings from time to time? And please don't misunderstand me... I'm not wanting to divide the group or anything like that, but NTRC existed in the past for a reason (I believe the geographical reason that is causing so many hurt feelings at the moment), and could certainly exist again. I believe there's enough distance that it makes sense to have separate clubs. Having more than one club in the same geographical region, however, doesn't make as much sense to me. The joint December meetings were always a blast.

Brandon

I hope noone gets the impression in my thread that I wanted to divide the club or anything like that. I am not upset about any of the meetings. I knew exactly where most of them would be held when I joined. I just thought if there were some guys that lived up my way, we could have get togethers or grab a beer or anything like that. The NTRC sounds interesting and I would offer to head it up if there was enough interest. I am not nearly as knowledgeable as most of you guys but I can put things together.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it like SAMCRO and have different chapters.... :)

Last edited:

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I'm not looking to split the group up, either, but I think NTRC makes sense. :) There were posts as recently as September in that forum... could be helpful to those up north to get it going again.

Brandon

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope noone gets the impression in my thread that I wanted to divide the club or anything like that. I am not upset about any of the meetings. I knew exactly where most of them would be held when I joined. I just thought if there were some guys that lived up my way, we could have get togethers or grab a beer or anything like that. The NTRC sounds interesting and I would offer to head it up if there was enough interest. I am not nearly as knowledgeable as most of you guys but I can put things together.

Last hijack lol hey Paul how far are from Clarksville cause we have had get togethers here before we have about 10 people in Clarksville next time we hang out I can text you

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last hijack lol hey Paul how far are from Clarksville cause we have had get togethers here before we have about 10 people in Clarksville next time we hang out I can text you

Unfortunately Luis pretty far. About the same as if I drive to Smyrna or the boro. I would still appreciate the text and if I am able to make it, I can come over.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Brute cans (grey) are LDPE and not sure why we think there would be phosphates in it to begin with. :)

Further, I dunno what you guys know about big companies making specific product claims*, but they specifically state in their literature that it's unaffected by DI water.

Last note is to consider the accuracy and precision of the test gear in question. There are always a range of values equivalent to a zero reading.

-Matt

* Company-lawyers hate specific claims as they give people-lawyers potential grounds to sue.

Good points! Thank you.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When all this par meter crap was going on the first time I bought my own. I waited and waited and got skipped over so I just went out and bought one. I used it maybe twice. Lol. Anyone want to buy one? :D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When all this par meter crap was going on the first time I bought my own. I waited and waited and got skipped over so I just went out and bought one. I used it maybe twice. Lol. Anyone want to buy one? :D

I know a reef club that might be interested.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back