Brute and phosphate issues

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jelly... :squigglemouth:

Don't be yet... its still a theory at the moment... :)

i have some acrylic sheets on it now, but because the is moisture primarily on one side it has warped... so may have to find something else.. may be sintra (pvc)

I use cut styrofoam (per Lindsey's suggestion) over my sump in the garage... it works perfectly... its cheap, won't warp, and also insulates in the winter.

Brandon

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be yet... its still a theory at the moment... :)

I use cut styrofoam (per Lindsey's suggestion) over my sump in the garage... it works perfectly... its cheap, won't warp, and also insulates in the winter.

Brandon

I took the foam of my sump cause To much humidity was building up on the wall beside the sump

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brandon

i do have some extra..

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so we have decided that brutes are safe to use as long as you clean them. LOL..

Seems worth noting that there's nothing in the Brute to worry about. (We know millions of reefers are using them every day like this with no issue, after all.)

So, how often to clean it it simply how often it gets dirty in your environment and based on what you're doing with it.

Keeping the vat well sealed and with nothing in it like heaters, pumps, air stones, vinyl tubing (which WILL leach the additive that makes it clear.) should be all it takes to keep a vat of pure water pure and your container clean.

Any other setup will reintroduce some contaminants (air pollution, dust, bugs, etc) and sooner or later will require a clean-out due to bacterial or mildew growth.

I compromise and run a air stone and use tubing and a big submersible pump to transfer the water when/where it's needed. The tubing does turn white from clear and grow a bacterial film over time, and I'm sure there are some laundry room fumes that the air pump probably mixes into the water occasionally.

I have done one clean-out, so I guess that makes it about once every 3-4 years for me. I replace the tubing and wipe everything out with bleach water, then rinse.

That said, my next redesign will take these "issues" into account. I will use hard PVC or simply have no permanent plumbing in the RODI tank. I like having the water aerated since I believe it makes my mixed saltwater read for the tank more quickly...but I'll be testing without aeration first.

$0.02 :)

-Matt

Last edited:

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So people are suggesting to NOT put a heater in the Brute... What is the difference with a heater in there keeping the water at 78 degrees versus the Brute sitting in a 90 degree garage???

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have come to the conclusion that you should only use the brute to mix saltwater in. I only use it for that purpose because of the possibility of leeching Po4 into the water. I would not store ro/di water in one. I would store ro/di water in a water storage container that is for potable water not just food safe like the brute. Make sure that the storage container isn't open to the air. RO/DI water will pull stuff out of air or container it is stored in. You could heat the water if you want I just wouldn't store water in a brute longer than it take to fill and mix the salt to stable level then put in tank. My pump seems to keep water at right temp and the salt mix heats up the water too so I'm good to go after an hour of mixing salt.

So to really answer your question you can but the above stands the reason. If you have cold water going into your mixing container yes you need to heat it to the right temp but don;t leave water in it for days.

Hope this helps just my $0.02

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So people are suggesting to NOT put a heater in the Brute... What is the difference with a heater in there keeping the water at 78 degrees versus the Brute sitting in a 90 degree garage???
Idk, I tested several times and is showing ok now. I am cleaning the pump heater and can better now. Im still using mine but I know that bill has had problems too with water changes.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use my brute but I don't store water in it. After every water change I clean and let dry until next water change.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have come to the conclusion that you should only use the brute to mix saltwater in. I only use it for that purpose because of the possibility of leeching Po4 into the water. I would not store ro/di water in one. I would store ro/di water in a water storage container that is for potable water not just food safe like the brute. Make sure that the storage container isn't open to the air. RO/DI water will pull stuff out of air or container it is stored in. You could heat the water if you want I just wouldn't store water in a brute longer than it take to fill and mix the salt to stable level then put in tank. My pump seems to keep water at right temp and the salt mix heats up the water too so I'm good to go after an hour of mixing salt.

So to really answer your question you can but the above stands the reason. If you have cold water going into your mixing container yes you need to heat it to the right temp but don;t leave water in it for days.

Hope this helps just my $0.02

Who is "we"?

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 ^ LOL right

I've stored water in Brutes for 13 years and never had an issue with em.
Does't stop me from questioning that decision but hey we question a lot of things that go on in our Aquariums.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to keep storing water and heating it in mine as well. I'm just adding my two cents and trying to learn as I go along as well.

There is a future mixing station in the works but for now the Brute stays full of RO/DI water

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brute works well as storage with no phosphates.. no heater or pump but oh well

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine smells funky like cat urine if I leave water in in for a day or more.

If you are not finding Po4 in your storage water with a quality tester than that's great. So test after holding RO/ water and if you don't get any than your okay. that would be obvious and would answer your question. Others have found it and thats what this thread is about.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine smells funky like cat urine if I leave water in in for a day or more.

If you are not finding Po4 in your storage water with a quality tester than that's great. So test after holding RO/ water and if you don't get any than your okay. that would be obvious and would answer your question. Others have found it and thats what this thread is about.
I also get the smell if I leave mixed water in mine for more than a day or two. Tested phosphate with hanna and got like .1. I have a smaller one that I store rodi water in all the time and it test like0-.01. I am just mixing my water and using it within a day and wiping out with vinegar after water is used. Tested using that method and 0 phosphate. I think In my research that heat can bring stuff out of plastic. Sounds logical.lol

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
COREY
mine is a 32 as well.
I have never cleaned it. I make water in it and than mix total time is about 10 hours that i have water in it. I notice that I get the smell if I don't add salt to it. I try not to leave water in it longer than I have too.
Joe

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think heat may but I don't heat the water so no answer for you on that.
What ratio do you use the vinegar and do you do it with ro water or tap.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't noticed smell without mix, but I have ran up some water in it and has been in can for 3 or so days and smell is not very strong. When I clean it I have been just using straight vinegar on a microfiber rag and wiping it down. When I clean my pump I just pour little vinegar in a bucket with about a gallon or so of rodi water and run pump. Then I pull it apart and take cue tip to clean inside pump and let dry. I am on city water here so my tds in is only 4 or so and out of the rodi unit I am getting 0 most time and will show 1 from time to time. Wich that is normal from the unit I think

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a company that is selling pickle barrels for $25 each. Free shipping with 3 or more. I think they're similar to 55g plastic drums, but a little beefier.

Anyone interested in getting some?

Brandon

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back