Brute Mixing Can Smells Like Cat Urine — Why

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two thirty-two-gallon Brute cans for water-changes. I fill one of them with twenty-five gallons of RO/DI water on Fridays and turn the heater and mixing pump on. On Saturdays, I add salt. On Sundays, I drain twenty-five gallons from the display, and I pump the freshly-mixed saltwater into the display.

After a couple of days of mixing, the Brute can smells like urine. The can is able to get fresh air and it’s constantly mixing, so it’s not stagnating. The five-gallon buckets of RO/DI water that I keep as reserves for my automatic top-off container never emit odors. I’m not sure why, but the Brute can continues to release the odor after being emptied for days. It seems to be the can that saltwater was mixed in; not the can used to drain tank water into.

Do you have the same issue? If so, then have you been able to prevent it?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you always keep saltwater on demand?

Brutes don’t seal perfectly, so could be contamination or could be from the nutrients in the saltwater mix.

Using RO/DI water?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using? I was getting this with red sea blue bucket, I think it may be some organic material producing ammonia. I switched over to tropic Marin and it's not happening anymore.

Red sea uses evaporated salt water as the base if its mix, that why I think it's the salt. But I had used it for years before this started a couple months ago. I don't have any proof that's what it is, but my rodi is fine, and rodi stored in the same bucket is fine, it was only after adding salt.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you always keep saltwater on demand?

Brutes don’t seal perfectly, so could be contamination or could be from the nutrients in the saltwater mix.

Using RO/DI water?
I don’t keep saltwater on demand due to my apartment setup, so I make it a day before I need it.

I am using the last bit of Fritz RPM, and I’m switching to Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

I do use RO/DI water, which has been filtered through my recently-purchased seven-stage unit from Bulk Reef Supply.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fresh water side never smells and always has water in it. Salt side has never smelt. Regular IO here.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, used for at least 7 years.

You have a cat?:)

I rinse mine out after every use. They still look new. Are you putting prime or anther dechlorinator in? Prime smells like fish butt, so to speak. I put prime it in all my Rodi, only for the benefit of allegedly helping slime coat.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t keep saltwater on demand due to my apartment setup, so I make it a day before I need it.

I am using the last bit of Fritz RPM, and I’m switching to Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

I do use RO/DI water, which has been filtered through my recently-purchased seven-stage unit from Bulk Reef Supply.

As you switch, clean it with bleach water and rinse. Then try your new salt mix. Let us know how it turned out.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using? I was getting this with red sea blue bucket, I think it may be some organic material producing ammonia. I switched over to tropic Marin and it's not happening anymore.

Red sea uses evaporated salt water as the base if its mix, that why I think it's the salt. But I had used it for years before this started a couple months ago. I don't have any proof that's what it is, but my rodi is fine, and rodi stored in the same bucket is fine, it was only after adding salt.

Unfortunately, is happened even when I stored only RO/DI water in them before I started using one for mixing saltwater when I upgraded to a larger system.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try IO, reef crystals has extra vitamins and stuff added and I'd worry it will do the same thing

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, is happened even when I stored only RO/DI water in them before I started using one for mixing saltwater when I upgraded to a larger system.
Does your city water have chloramines? I use two carbon blocks labeled for chloramine after the prefilter. I was getting ammonia in RODI a few years ago, changing to those blocks helped, at least I didnt have ammonia showing up anymore.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same thing, and had a smell, but wasn’t sure what it was.
Every month I now totally empty my mixing barrel. I use straight vinegar to clean it out with a Dobie scrub pad, then wipe down with a clean towel and air dry
FWIW, a old friend who developed plastic bottles, 2 liter, never, ever, drinks anything from plastic. Plastic will leach out different chemicals, and will eventually give you Cancer. Leaving water bottles in the car, in the sun, only speeds up this leaching. Ask Sheryl Crow

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, used for at least 7 years.

You have a cat?:)

I rinse mine out after every use. They still look new. Are you putting prime or anther dechlorinator in? Prime smells like fish butt, so to speak. I put prime it in all my Rodi, only for the benefit of allegedly helping slime coat.

No cats here, and I don’t add anything to the water other than salt when mixing.

Does your city water have chloramines? I use two carbon blocks labeled for chloramine after the prefilter. I was getting ammonia in RODI a few years ago, changing to those blocks helped, at least I didnt have ammonia showing up anymore.

I also use two carbon blocks after the sediment filter. No ammonia after my tests either.

It’s strange. ;Meh

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same thing, and had a smell, but wasn’t sure what it was.
Every month I now totally empty my mixing barrel. I use straight vinegar to clean it out with a Dobie scrub pad, then wipe down with a clean towel and air dry
Yeah, I think I’ll be doing that until I can try another type of container for mixing. I’m sure that people that have clients don’t use materials that have this issue, so I’m really curious about what it could be. I highly doubt that Mr. Saltwater Tank (Mark Callahan) would be okay with the odor. ;Yuck

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experienced the same thing with my large, grey brute can. I only used it for RODI water. Never has caused any issues and the water does not have the smell, bothers me every time I open it though.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think I’ll be doing that until I can try another type of container for mixing. I’m sure that people that have clients don’t use materials that have this issue, so I’m really curious about what it could be. I highly doubt that Mr. Saltwater Tank (Mark Callahan) would be okay with the odor. ;Yuck
The Brute containers are made of soft plastic, look for a 40-50 gal travel/shipping barrel. These barrels are made with hard, strong plastics and less leaching will occur

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experienced the same thing with my large, grey brute can. I only used it for RODI water. Never has caused any issues and the water does not have the smell, bothers me every time I open it though.
I haven’t noticed whether the water absorbs the odor in my case, but the cans are almost intolerable when opening the lids.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m cheap, I didn’t buy lids.
Try this:
Remove the lids and cover with a towel, be sure to put something over the barrel before placing towel, I use my mixing stick.
If stuff, hair, bugs, fall into the water, don’t worry, just more protein
Covered plastic cans can smell when opened after only days being closed

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if putting the lids on tight may be the issue. Whenever I use my can I put the top on but leave it just a bit open to allow gas exchange. The smell may be from the freshly mixed salt releasing gases and getting trapped.

Just a thought

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back