OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if putting the lids on tight may be the issue. Whenever I use my can I put the top on but leave it just a bit open to allow gas exchange. The smell may be from the freshly mixed salt releasing gases and getting trapped.

Just a thought
Like you, I don’t fully close the lid. Instead, I leave a nicely-sized opening at the top by offsetting the lid ~6 inches.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just weird.........ok.......buy a cat!
Or are your drinking buddies playing games

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m wondering if putting the lids on tight may be the issue. Whenever I use my can I put the top on but leave it just a bit open to allow gas exchange. The smell may be from the freshly mixed salt releasing gases and getting trapped.

Just a thought
I was also thinking that it may be the gas exchange. I have used brute containers for many years for both RO/DI and freshwater (I mix the salt right before I add it to the tank) without any odor issues. I do not keep the lid on and I add an air stone to keep the water moving. Good luck with your investigation!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume it's near your rodi unit? I can't remember which it is but one of my DI resin smells like urine. I can't remember if it's the anion or the cation resin. Once I spilled a bit on the basement floor and didn't notice it. The smell drove me insane for about a month before I noticed it. Got any DI resin sitting around causing the smell?

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume it's near your rodi unit? I can't remember which it is but one of my DI resin smells like urine. I can't remember if it's the anion or the cation resin. Once I spilled a bit on the basement floor and didn't notice it. The smell drove me insane for about a month before I noticed it. Got any DI resin sitting around causing the smell?
It’s not near the RO/DI unit. Since I live in an apartment, I have to carry my RO/DI unit to the second floor to use it at the sink, and then I store it back in the garage on the first floor.

The only resin that I have is what’s in the canisters.

I’m going to try mixing the water all night without the lid on at all. Maybe I’ll notice a difference tomorrow. It’s certainly not a pleasant odor.

epsteino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not near the RO/DI unit. Since I live in an apartment, I have to carry my RO/DI unit to the second floor to use it at the sink, and then I store it back in the garage on the first floor.

The only resin that I have is what’s in the canisters.

I’m going to try mixing the water all night without the lid on at all. Maybe I’ll notice a difference tomorrow. It’s certainly not a pleasant odor.
I know its been a year, but have you figured it out? I am having the same issues. Im using red sea salt and my own RODI. It seems to get worse when you leave it closed with the lid for several days. Is it the Brute can or does this happen in every container? I too never smell anything when I store water in those 5 gallon square jugs with a cap.

Thanks

Oren

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its been a year, but have you figured it out? I am having the same issues. Im using red sea salt and my own RODI. It seems to get worse when you leave it closed with the lid for several days. Is it the Brute can or does this happen in every container? I too never smell anything when I store water in those 5 gallon square jugs with a cap.

Thanks

Oren
Hey Oren,

I no longer store water in the Brute cans. I simply store it in 5gal buckets because I have a smaller system that requires less water. Also, my wife parked her car in the garage over the winter, here in Ohio, and I didn’t want any exhaust from her car to make its way into the bins. I never notice any odors when storing water in the 5gal buckets with leak-proof lids, so I assume it has something to do with the makeup of the Brute can itself.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Brute containers are made of soft plastic, look for a 40-50 gal travel/shipping barrel. These barrels are made with hard, strong plastics and less leaching will occur

They are made of polyethylene. The smell is not likely from the can, and choosing a different material is unlikely to eliminate it.

I expect the smell is mildew,if it is not ammonia from the supply water.

Some folks get the smell, others do not. I use many of these cans and none smell bad.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are made of polyethylene. The smell is not likely from the can, and choosing a different material is unlikely to eliminate it.

I expect the smell is mildew,if it is not ammonia from the supply water.

Some folks get the smell, others do not. I use many of these cans and none smell bad.

I get a smell (definitely not cat urine) but a bad smell. I do keep my 20 gallon brute can filled with salt water pretty much at all times.
I noticed a slimy biofilm when I pulled out my heater and powerhead so I ran bleach through it for a day with the heater and powerhead in it. All good now and im careful to not introduce dirty tank water to it and let it completely dry every so often.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have always smelled, just assumed it was a plastic smell. Been using the same brutes for 5 or so years now, never an issue.

RO/DI smells like new plastic, sort of. Salt bucket(IO salt) smells almost like cat pee, but not that strong ammonia smell usually associated with cat pee.

55G grey brutes with lids on 24/7. I honestly never open them unless I'm mixing salt, so never really gave it much thought.

beaugoodale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I’m not the only one who has run into this. My Fresh water smells like cat pee when I open the lid.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely cat pee or locker room or my son's feet! I'm wondering if new DI canisters will help.

Ammonia is the only thing likely to be there that smells this way.

You can try collecting some water in a glass container, then smell it. If you have any high pH ingredients , you can add that to boost the ammonia smell.

Or you can measure ammonia in the water.

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is it coming from? The salt, the Rubbermaid, the water, the air? Very confusing it seems to not smell once put the water into a separate 5 gallon or 1 gallon container.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is it coming from? The salt, the Rubbermaid, the water, the air? Very confusing it seems to not smell once put the water into a separate 5 gallon or 1 gallon container.

If its ammonia, it comes from a depleting DI when you have chloramine in your tap water.

If it is mildew, that likely comes from spores in the air that settle and grow in humid environments.

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its ammonia, it comes from a depleting DI when you have chloramine in your tap water.

If it is mildew, that likely comes from spores in the air that settle and grow in humid environments.
Thanks, my rodi unit on the Input is around 6 but it varies and the output is almost always 3. I replaced the di canisters first and made 200 gallons of water before replacing the 3 stage. Consequently the di is maybe 15% used but it turned orangish. Concern?

16264483537432561215655746688462.jpg

Mystikal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I had this issue with my brute cans;

I fill it with just RODI water. Doesn't really bother the system as of now, but not sure on long term effect.

"If it is mildew, that likely comes from spores in the air that settle and grow in humid environments."

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back