Brute Mixing Can Smells Like Cat Urine — Why

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh dang. OK. Is there such a thing as an ammonia remover/blocker?

Clinoptillolite (a zeolite material) can bind some ammonia from seawater or freshwater, and products that contain hydroxymethanesulfonate (such as Chlor-Am-X) have a plausible mechanism for binding ammonia.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good time to remind folks to not always (ever???) accept hobby vendor claims without verification. Many are misleading or simply wrong. Maybe reefers should follow Ronald Reagan's old advice: trust but verify.

You're statement reflects the Seachem claim. Seachem has a historically mixed and rapidly falling record on understanding chemistry of their own products (IMO). Seachem Aquavitro Balance is a perfect case in point where they either are ignorant of their own product attributes (it obviously is an alk supplement despite the claims that it is not), or simply don't care to be accurate.

Careful testing by folks on this forum suggest that the Prime claim may not be accurate, and Seachem has never provided evidence of effect, or any plausible mechanism, despite being challenged by chemists for many years as to whether and how it works.

This has more:

Prime is essentially sodium thiosulfate right?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 77 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%
Back